Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A picture from my subterainian lair... A year and a half into the project, not much compared to what most of what you guys do but my first forray into building anything. The girder is screwed I built it too short in my fabrication class, gonna have to try and find one to replace it cause I love the way it looks.

Primo

Heres a before shot in case you were wondering

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like that girder. If it is to short why don't you rework the frame some to make it work....lower the head tube down, a goose neck kind of thing I guess. the backbone of the frame has a nice straight line, make it meet the head tube at the very top...it looks like that would gain you a couple inches.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Nevermind that backbone sugestion, I looked at the picture again. If theres room over the top of the motor I'd cut an inch or so out of both downtubes, then heat and bend the backbone down to meet 'em. That would lower the neck a little and reduce the rake a touch...and give you some more ground clearance.

I like short girders.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like short girders too. It's a friends first bike so what I'm probably gonna do is hoble it together with stock telescopics and get it running for a summer or two to let him actually get to ride a little then blow it apart one winter and do your second suggestion and finish the girder so we can get the look we want.

Primo

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Being the first bike I've built there are a bunch of mistakes I made that I'm going to have to go back and fix at a later date to get it looking like we imagined. Also
how much room is needed minimum between a tire and fender? Cranked all the way forward currently I have 1/2 inch.

Thanks,
Primo

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
tires grow at high speeds but with 1/2" you should be good to around 150 :)
(that's 1/2" to the nearest mounting bolt head, right ?)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lilbill said:
(that's 1/2" to the nearest mounting bolt head, right ?)
Yup I sunk the heads so they would be flush on the underside. I don't think this little 650 will ever hit 150 so I think I'm okay then :)

Thanks,
Primo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts