so we went on, hunted some little electrical gremlin and finally found it (did you know you can kill oil pressure switches by accidentally hooking them up with 12V?)
and afterwards is was down to: Dyna S first or SU first?
well we decided to just try putting the SU back on and see what it says.
let's just say we were surprised.
the SU surprised us with one kick starting and instant idle manners...
i love this carb and i want to marry it.
guess i'll just skip the Dyna and don't change a thing. seat bench, sissy bar with back rest for the wife and some small details, then i'll try to get it registered.
oh, the dang neutral switch started flickering again and it galled the taillight wire on the test run because i must've fucked up the fender clearance by a few millimeters,
but other than that we were extremely happy.
hehe, i've been there before, too...
oil pressure seems fine, we killed the switches by exposing them to current.
now everything works well it seems. i guess the marshall gauge is on the low side, maybe?
anyway. light goes out. all is well
cleaned up the wiring a little bit. too much work to get to the real things on the bike, though. torture...
since the wife requested a back rest when she comes along for a ride i started bending a removable sissy bar / back rest
that i plan to attach to the permant push bar with four screws.
cardboard mock up of base plate for the back rest padding
since i was always on the fence about that sprocket thingy i put over the hole in my primary, i thought i'd try soemthing else and i like it better
oh, and since i love that garbage can vibe the old "seat bench" has i riveted a stripe of aluminium to it and now i can just take it off in one piece
and it is attached to the same mount that'll hold the new bench in place. i will will put it on for special occasions and important bike shows
i'm running a stock coil ignition at the moment. still have to contact the guys at Morris, just didn't have the time yet.
i will try and get some new ones from them. the bike will be finished and brought out on the road like this, the ignition swap is planned for next winter,
after maybe some shaking down this summer, if i make it... still lots to do before i can get it inspected. right now i'm having trouble with juice brake, too.
i like this style, i was wondering why a narrow ape with early clamp kept on lingering in my mind, must have picked it up somewhere....beware of a copycat some day! ooh well, all is done before anyway.
yeah well i'm pretty sure i did not invent that either, lol...
the handle bars sort of found me and the early style clamp is just the most logical thing to use if you intend to run the cables inside the bars.
i am actually thinking about modifying the whole thing and convert it to early spindles which would be pretty wild
(and solve the problem with the left spindle going the wrong way now) but that's for later.
maybe i would prefer a little more of a V shape for the bars, but for now they'll just stay like this.
just remember, if you have a spare 45 Timer, the helical gear on it & thrust washer is what ya need & will save ya green folding plus being genuine, ya know it'll be right,.....
Had I known at the time that V-Twin Ted made them I'd have avoided getting mine, but I gotta admit,
that even after having the grief I had with mine, & getting it fit for use, now it's sorted I do like the look & the rest of the nosecone isn't a bad copy,...they just need good gears & redisgn of the casting so it doesn't need welding, THAT is a major lash up that shows how cheap Ted is,
he'd have had samples from Tiawan & instead of accepting them he should have sent em back & got the Tiawaneese to do it properly NOT by welding them up,
knowing how he works he probably got them for 10c on the $ as rejcts, that he then made money on in his usual way of selling shit that needs work .......... I really cant understand why people still buy his shit, utter crap is still utter crap even if they are the only ones making a rare part,