Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been busy as hell between working at my normal job (a wrench) and at my shop after hours, so i havn't had any time for my own stuff..
tonight that changed for once.

I tore into my 650 finally to see what i'm in for.
This is my first trump motor build, so i'm learning as i go.. I've done car mill's before..but this aint no car :)
All in all, i don't think it was that bad..BUT..i do have some thing's i'm going to have to deal with..

For starters, there was fucking water in the transmission at some point, and it started to make a mess. luckily all the gears still look in good shape, and even though they look bad rust wise, i *think* they will clean up fine..
The thin coating of oil that was on them i think saved them from pitting..
You can see in the one pic the water line in the case.

The crank looks great, and i only see one "dimple" on the sludge trap so it dosn't look like it's been disassembled much.. and the crank case was real clean..luckily no water in there.

The small end of the rods are discolored more than likely because it needed to be rebushed and obviously nobody took care of it.
Hopefully no real damage was done and i can repolish and bush them.

The biggest thing i see right now i have to deal with is there's a small crack in the primary case where the chain tensioner threads into (see pic). It's not all the way through, so i'm thinking tig and machine and it should be fine..and i think i'm also going to have to heli-coil the threads there too..

So anyway..i finally started on it..
I couldn't deal with caffeine's progress anymore..the douchebag! haha

here's pics..

Tony

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
caffeine said:
have you got out the caliper yet and starting taking specs.? hows the crank?
I forgot the damn caliper at the shop so all i did was drink a couple beer's and look at everything all over my bench..

I'll get into the nitty gritty this weekend hopefully. I have to finish a customers camaro at the shop first ( or try to anyway)..so that come's first.
I'm hoping that will pay for some of my rebuild parts..

BritBikeMike...ya got me thinkin' here man..
There was water in the case...just might have been a boat anchor!!!
It's a paper weight now so anything's possible..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any of you guy's run into rods like these with the discoloration and the small end?
If so, were your's salvagable?
just wondering really..

Also..whats the deal with the cast 'cap' and aluminum rods??
Is this normal on these thing's??

Like i said, i'm used to cars:)

·
Registered
484 Posts
The discoloration at the con rod small end is common. For sure measure the wrist pin to bush fit, but you might not have to replace.

While 'old tech', the stock Triumph rods are sturdy. What usually causes these to break in street motors is insufficient oil supply to the big end shells; ie blocked sludge trap.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

hope everyone sees this thread, since Triumph twins are now the 'it' bikes ..

that water is thanks to rain running down the clutch cable straight into the gearbox .. they came stock with a rubber boot, which rotted in the sun and was seldom renewed ..

likewise, any that have been run for a while will show that small-end coloring .. is blow-by from the topend ..

Good luck, keep us posted ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yeah, that discoloration is nothing strange. I found the same thing in my Suzuki motor when I replaced a cracked piston - won't hurt a thing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info guy's.. I really wasn't sure if that was normal or not..
I'll update from time to time when i actually make some progress with it..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts