Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a bsa a-65 motor and frame ,and a triumph hardtail section.the h.t. has 25 lbs of bondo and braze-ons(i love the 70's)so installment 1 is all about the tear-down.i plan on keeping a stock rake,and a short front-end.everything else is negotiable.i had to cut a substantial amount of tubing out of the h.t. section to avoid a 12" stretch,and i will sister in some tubing(see masking tape) to the chainstays to continue the flow of the frame.please note :my mock-up table is exactly that.nothing is welded in yet,but before it is a jig will be made ensuring squareness of the frame.i give all credit of the name to dan.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
notice the fender struts in the 1st mock-up pic. 1/2" x1" flat stock hot rolled steel...someone had a large girlfriend....the seat pan was another magical treat.3/16 sheet metal welded AND brazed and topped with a quarter inch of bondo.the 70's were a magical time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like the train wreck I encountered with my BSA.I cut the old HT off and bent up a new one,though not everyone has a tubing bender.The '70's sucked.This is what you have to deal with from that.I'm sure the Ought fives will also suck in a few years,with unskilled guys building the same shit because of American Chopper.Looks good so far,keep us posted.I'm sure you want it real low,but watch that ground clearance.Looks pretty low to me.PM me....or a few other BSA guys on here if you need any info.Good luck.

Jimmy Diesel

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jimmydiesel said:
Looks like the train wreck I encountered with my BSA.I cut the old HT off and bent up a new one,though not everyone has a tubing bender.The '70's sucked.This is what you have to deal with from that.I'm sure the Ought fives will also suck in a few years,with unskilled guys building the same shit because of American Chopper.Looks good so far,keep us posted.I'm sure you want it real low,but watch that ground clearance.Looks pretty low to me.PM me....or a few other BSA guys on here if you need any info.Good luck.

Jimmy Diesel
thanks man.. if you don't mind me asking what's the measurement from the center of your rear axle to the bottom of the frame?

·
Registered
376 Posts
jimmydiesel said:

Jimmy Diesel
jimmy,

would you mind to post pix of your hardtail build-up? i need to do that someday for my bsa. it looks like any reasonably mechanically inclined guy could figure it out and it would be easy to do. but i'm not that naive or stupid; i'm pretty sure that it's gonna be a LOT harder than it looks. so any advice from someone who's been there would be appreciated. also, comments about what you like about it and what (if anything) you would do differently if you were to make another one.

now back to your regularly scheduled program...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nate,I'll measure that for you tomorrow.Atch,no problem on the pics.Any phase of the buildup you'd really like to see?I have pics of the whole thing.I don't really know of anything I would have done differently.There's a few things I still want to do,like a 21" front hoop (that Speedmaster in back is a little taller than I thought!) and I'd kinda like to have a Cole Foster oil tank---but that's all stuff I can add before spring gets here.The only thing I should have done was to learn a little more of the ins and outs of Brit twins and their little "quirks" before I started.They'll make you learn real quick.

If anyone knows,I still haven't figured out how to upload a pic smaller than the limit and have it show up large like the ones at the top of this page.Any help?

Jimmy D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Nate,my bike is 21" from the rear axle to the lowest point on the frame,which is a little less than 4"-----minus the kickstand.I built it kinda low,but able to drop off a curb if need be.With you building a bobber and with my bike being a chopper,I don't know if this will help.Since I started with a modified bike,I have no idea what the extension is on the hardtail,I put it together myself.I'd guess 6" or so.As far as the springer....it's an old AEE,don't know how much over (I can use a tape measure) My bike is more chop than Bobber I guess,but I tried to keep it short.It sxits a little high in front,but I like it.

Jimmy D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts