Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know how many of you read Hop Up but in the 2003 issue, there's a brief article about a 1948 FL done up as a period bobber. Unfortunately, the pictures are all too brief and shot a bit too close to the bike (or too far away, depending on the detail). Anyone familiar with this bike? I'd love to see some more pictures of it.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Bigcheese5300 said:
Don't know how many of you read Hop Up but in the 2003 issue, there's a brief article about a 1948 FL done up as a period bobber. Unfortunately, the pictures are all too brief and shot a bit too close to the bike (or too far away, depending on the detail). Anyone familiar with this bike? I'd love to see some more pictures of it.
LETS SEE THE PICS YOU GOT..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Knukkel said:
Digital camera!
No dice there, either. This laptop I've got's an antique. It's real picky about what it will and won't let use the USB port. I tried the Hop Up website, but the content is mostly different from the mags.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bigcheese5300 said:
No scanner!
Here you go - Volume 5, pgs 94-95 - billed as "The Griffin, Thornton, Kennedy 1948 FL Harley Davidson"

...don't know anything about it other than that article.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
You'll never see Gabe's Pan in that state again. He laid it down, sold off all the wrecked parts, and is gonna rebuild it a different style.

·
Registered
114 Posts
the bike belongs to Gabe (the heathens) johnny chops roomate. it was built with the help of the kennady bro's hot rod shop. its a bitchen bike, I actually think he's thinking of selling it. but fuck that. now Im jelous. you missed a decade. look for the real panhead in Hop up's first reincarnation 1993 & you'll see my 48 pan.
Ill try & post some pic's sometime.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
There was another article in the older Hop Up little mags (early to mid 90's? There's only 2 of them) of I think his name was Kevin Sledge's (?) little Dodge bucket or something paired with (I think) an old Pan.

I'll have to look up the particulars when I unpack from my move.....but I thought that's the one you were reffering to.

Yeah....another non-sense post by me.
Its Monday & I haven't had enough coffee.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Richie said:
There was another article in the older Hop Up little mags (early to mid 90's? There's only 2 of them) of I think his name was Kevin Sledge's (?) little Dodge bucket or something paired with (I think) an old Pan.

I'll have to look up the particulars when I unpack from my move.....but I thought that's the one you were reffering to.
That's Rico's Pan...with Kevan Sledge's Model T Ford. See the date on that particular Hop Up? It predates the new version by a decade. Those two mofos were doin' this shit long before 90% of the people that are into now.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
R.F. said:
That's Rico's Pan...with Kevan Sledge's Model T Ford. See the date on that particular Hop Up? It predates the new version by a decade. Those two mofos were doin' this shit long before 90% of the people that are into now.
No way!!
That's Rico?!
I remember thinking how cool that bike was...AND how ugly the guy on it was.
:D

And yeah....I'm the "original owner" of both issues.....but no matter what....there was always someone who's been doing it longer....ya know?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Holy shit!
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
I don't know wether to laugh or cry.....I think I'm doing both.
Too fuckin funny!

People in work think I just ate a jalapeno.....
Thanks Rob.....you still make me sick.
:D

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I still can't quite grasp 1994 being that long ago.

That would have been a great little mag.....isn't there something on the back cover of issue 2 about "The Girls of Hop Up" or something.
I want to say it was an older picture of a girl sitting in a 33 or 34 Ford with T&R and I was left waiting and waiting for the article.
I gotta dig those magazines out again.

WTF? I can't remember my mom's birthday.....but a magazine article from 1994 and I'm all over it?!?!?!?!

I need my head examined.

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
Yeah Richie it was called " Andy's girls " from a photo shoot in 1963 . She is in a '33 coupe with white tuck & roll . I kept waiting too , got a few things in the mail about how I was on the list to get something for my sub. money . . . . yeah 11 years later , I'm not seeing much in my mailbox :) Regardless , those 2 little mags were good to go .

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Oh man...

Its just dawning on me now....they must've been planning an Andy Southard spread. That would've been something to see.
Anyone know how he's doing?
I've got a bunch of his books from a few years back....one featuring all of his models would be a cool thing to see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flat Ernie - Thanks for the picture, that's the one I'm talking about.

R.F. - I'm really sorry to hear that. I think it's the best looking Panhead I've ever seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts