Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bobbed it right off behind the motor that is :D . none of this half ass shit, i'm doin it up the way i want it, the first time. it was just too short from the motor to the rear wheel, plus the seat sitting right on the fender was not going to cut it with me. so, i took all the neccesary measurements, and then tore it apart. then i got the neighbor kid to help me set it up on the portable welding/grinding/plasma cutter table, block it up and weld it down. this will help insure that everything is square to the world and even from side to side when i build the new tail section. the swing arm/strut type hard tail will be ditched in favor of a fully molded in hard tail section that will place the rear wheel 2" further back and between 1" to 2" further up (lowering the rear that much in the process).
where the frame curves up behind the motor and ties into the backbone will be eliminated and the hard tail will flow right out of the stock lower bars and back to the rear wheel, then up from the stock drop outs to the back bone at the front of the seat. i will also add a seat post from the back bone down behind the motor to a cross member. the rear motor mount will then tie into this seat post.

i've taken all the neccesary measurements so that i can place the stock (mid mount) foot pegs and (rear) brake lever in the stock position (relative to the motor) in the new frame. i've decided against forward controls but i will likely add forward (highway) pegs, so i can stretch out on those longer rides.

i will also move the seat back just slightly, and i'm thinking of hand hammering a new saddle from sheet metal. should be REAL comfy ;) .

i'm going for a real industrial look with the bike and i want to keep it simple. just a bare bones little "hot rod" on two wheels, but with enough detail to be worth takin a second look at.

after i get this all done (and, likely, after i get it on the road for a while) i plan to build a girder front end that wil compliment the look of the bike. i will also be shortening the girder front end (compared to the front end on it now) to lower the front and shorten the wheel base back up a bit. i realy dig the compactness and overall look of Cole Foster's bikes so that is where SOME of my inspiration is coming from.

i'm stoked. all i need now is some damn tubing...

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tony Bones said:
Are you keeping the large tank, or going to something smaller like a Peanut?
i dig the stock tank. i'm keepin it.

Hatch actually had put a peanut tank on it, at one point, and it did not look near as good as the stocker. so said most of the HAMBers that looked at it at the time. i agreed.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Hey Mike...looking good. If you are going to fab your own rigid tail section, heres a way to make it easier. Use the swingarm for a jig. I have welded extension plates to the rear of the swingarm for whatever stretch is needed, then fab to them which keeps the chain path perfect. The angle of the arm will also give you an idea of how much drop to use. If you don't have a laser level, I just bought one and they work great for this type of job.

I think maybe you should change your screen name to "SLICE".....since you seem to do that to EVERYTHING that gets even near your shop:D ....kool stuff

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually Hatch i'm going to sorta do that. i'm going to lengthen the swing arm and kick it up the approriate amount. then i'll weld legs up from the table to the kickouts so that they are held in the right place.then i'll cut the kickouts free from the swing arm, cut the frame and get the pieces out of the way, then start buildin the new stuff. i don't have fancy mandrel tube bender but i do have a cheapy Chinesse PIPE bender. luckily i won't need to do too tight of a bend anywhere so it should'nt kink the tube too bad. you do what ya can with what ya got, right? i've long thought if i had a kickass tube bender i'd be a buildin fool. tube chassis for EVERYTHING!! :D it's a sickness i guess. i realy CAN'T leave ANYTHING alone. even my lawn mowers are flamed out :rolleyes: . getting shit finished before i start on another crazy idea is the problem though. classic ADD.

speaking of that. i better git out in the garage. tommarow i'll go buy some tubing, and then the REAL fun begins. :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're worried about kinks Go the ghetto route and cap one end of the pipe then fill it with sand. We've been doin' it that way and yet to run into any ugly bends...Well there was that one but it doesn't count ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dvlscoupe said:
If you're worried about kinks Go the ghetto route and cap one end of the pipe then fill it with sand. We've been doin' it that way and yet to run into any ugly bends...Well there was that one but it doesn't count ;)
yeah, i could do that. i've done it before, but i'm out of oxygen for the torches :rolleyes: ...

i actually ordered my tubing today. could'nt find anyone in the phone book that had any on hand. i'll stil have to drive 40 minutes or so to get it when it comes in. 1 1/8" OD DOM tubing is all it is. i coulda went with black pipe :D , found a TON of it at the scrap metal yard today, and it was the right diameter too. i wanted to be buildin this thing already. i hate to wait!! :mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
i wanted to be buildin this thing already. i hate to wait!! :mad:[/QUOTE said:
Talk about waiting! My bike was set to be done for billet proof until we tore the back end down for hardtailin'. Talk about a fuckin' snag, we had three rear sections fall through before we decided to do it the right way and build our own.
That presented a whole new problem of having to rely on another guy for torches and a welder. Went and partied at his house the night before we were to start and haven't seen the bastard since. Sufficet to say I've decided to scrap the hard tail until winter and just build a cafe style back end...So yeah I know what ya mean...once a project loses steam it's hard to get back on it.
Sorry for pirating your thread...I know return you to your regularly scheduled thread!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dvlscoupe said:
Talk about waiting! My bike was set to be done for billet proof until we tore the back end down for hardtailin'. Talk about a fuckin' snag, we had three rear sections fall through before we decided to do it the right way and build our own.
That presented a whole new problem of having to rely on another guy for torches and a welder. Went and partied at his house the night before we were to start and haven't seen the bastard since. Sufficet to say I've decided to scrap the hard tail until winter and just build a cafe style back end...So yeah I know what ya mean...once a project loses steam it's hard to get back on it.
Sorry for pirating your thread...I know return you to your regularly scheduled thread!
maybe you could bring it out here one weekend for a "fabrication party".

you gonna make it out for the Rumble???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Kustombuilder said:
bobbed it right off behind the motor that is :D . none of this half ass shit, i'm doin it up the way i want it, the first time. it was just too short from the motor to the rear wheel, plus the seat sitting right on the fender was not going to cut it with me. so, i took all the neccesary measurements, and then tore it apart. then i got the neighbor kid to help me set it up on the portable welding/grinding/plasma cutter table, block it up and weld it down. this will help insure that everything is square to the world and even from side to side when i build the new tail section. the swing arm/strut type hard tail will be ditched in favor of a fully molded in hard tail section that will place the rear wheel 2" further back and between 1" to 2" further up (lowering the rear that much in the process).
where the frame curves up behind the motor and ties into the backbone will be eliminated and the hard tail will flow right out of the stock lower bars and back to the rear wheel, then up from the stock drop outs to the back bone at the front of the seat. i will also add a seat post from the back bone down behind the motor to a cross member. the rear motor mount will then tie into this seat post.

i've taken all the neccesary measurements so that i can place the stock (mid mount) foot pegs and (rear) brake lever in the stock position (relative to the motor) in the new frame. i've decided against forward controls but i will likely add forward (highway) pegs, so i can stretch out on those longer rides.

i will also move the seat back just slightly, and i'm thinking of hand hammering a new saddle from sheet metal. should be REAL comfy ;) .

Hey Kustombuilder..I am very interested in seeing the progress of this project. Please take lots of pics and explain it to us step by step. Sounds like it will turn out great.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I planned on going to the Rumble but figured I would be bikeless. It's worse than last summer when I had a perfectly good custom but couldn't drive it 'cause the DMV was to retarded to fix the paperwork for me.
A good weekend thrash is what I need right now. Not even on my bike. I'll work on anything right about now!

And I guess they were right when they said steel prices were going up....71 dollars, how do they sleep at night! Couldn't you find any cheap chinese made pipe

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dvlscoupe said:
I planned on going to the Rumble but figured I would be bikeless. It's worse than last summer when I had a perfectly good custom but couldn't drive it 'cause the DMV was to retarded to fix the paperwork for me.
A good weekend thrash is what I need right now. Not even on my bike. I'll work on anything right about now!

And I guess they were right when they said steel prices were going up....71 dollars, how do they sleep at night! Couldn't you find any cheap chinese made pipe
the Chinesse and there little "industrial revolution" are the cause of the high steel prices.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I wish it was a "little" revolution.......Japan is kickin our ass in the world marketplace.....china is ready to kick em out of the top slot....well....enough non bike talk for me before I get pissed......I guess it comes with living in michigan where so many are hurtin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts