Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
i dunno. im sure it has alot of neat footage of the way things were. but id rather almost have that stuff as an unsung song. keep the old stuff hidden. keep it to a select few, like us. forget the common public. cause then the shit we like is only gonna get real popular and worn out by the idiots that should have nothing to do with what we do. plus, not to rag on jesse, but i think its just another installment of documenterys hes made to make a few more bucks. if he really cared about the way things used to be, i dont think he would be doing what hes doing. i mean, "pay up sucker productions"? come on! just my 2 cents. like it or not, whatever.

·
Registered
981 Posts
rockabillyjay said:
" forget the common public. cause then the shit we like is only gonna get real popular and worn out by the idiots that should have nothing to do with what we do. "

ummmm.....have you been to a newstand or watched television within the last year?
nope not really, i havent watched tv in months ive been so busy....

·
Registered
385 Posts
rockabillyjay said:
" forget the common public. cause then the shit we like is only gonna get real popular and worn out by the idiots that should have nothing to do with what we do. "

ummmm.....have you been to a newstand or watched television within the last year?
Word!!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hey guess what? I found a gas station that sells 93 octane for $2.15/ gallon.
and I aint saying a goddamn thing because all of you fuckers will use it all up.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Call me crazy, but Ilike the HYPE that people like Jesse James, Indian Larry and even those idiots from OCC. From a business point of view it is one of the things that keeps me going financially. All of this high dollar hype has trickled down to the shops like me who just got started in the last five years and needed a boost to get through the hardest first couple years. I consider myself a Vintage Motorcycle Shop, even though most of my wrenching business right now is building customs for select customers. When the hype dies down there will be plenty of bikes to service and tune. I will have built a bunch of stuff that will need a little help (like all vintage bikes do) for years to come. It will effectively give me business down the road. For every kid or adult for that matter that sees a 60 to 80 G, WCC or OCC choppers bike and cannot afford it, there is a place on a 45 Cubic Inch HD or a 650 or 750cc Triumph. often the 45 or Triumph is waay cooler than the legions of stockers and cookie cutter WCC or OCC bike. Until I get that base of customers that have stock bikes, the custom guys will get me through. A lot of custom guys will be on to the next trend five years down the road (jet skis or Injected Hondas), lots of guys who built or had me buid them a bike will be riding it and modifying it and changing it to fit their needs. That is what will keep me in business after the hype dies down.

I think of Jesse James and i am REALLY glad he started this veritable revolution in the current bike industry. It does not matter what I think of him personally (never met him, giving him the benefit of the doubt), does not matter what I think about what he has done to the $50 thou to $100 thou bike market, he has done A LOT for the $5000 to $10,000 market too.

I say GO JESSE, keep the Hype going, baby. make it last forever. Make your films, do your THING!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
HMMMM..

I think the knee-jerk reaction is to bag on Jesse, and it's understandable...he's an easy target....and he has a lisp.

It always sucks when "our shit" becomes all things to all people.

Be it a favorite band to teeny boppers, Indpendent Truck gear to non-skaters,Harleys, and now 'choppers' to RUBs, whatever...some of the special-ness and exclusivity, and yeah, 'family' feel is lost when the bandwagon gets full...

But, some of the points raised in the previous two posts are quite interesting.

It's a trip to look back on old bike mags where they are practically begging for the mainstream to treat them on a human level, crying for 'rights'...and now the mainstream is dressing up each weekend to play biker. So, now that there is acceptance...it seems the 'good old days' when bikers had NO LOVE and would be harassed are some how better than the current state of affairs where most cops ride, and you'll never get a ticket for loud pipes...and you see your retired neighbors on their way to the H.O.G. meeting each sunday.

Be careful what you wish for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
rockabillyjay said:

Are you saying Sandra is producing this? ;-)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Maybe I'll be able to see this one...Cause the Fastest f-ing Indian isn't anywhere near here!? What a crock. Jesse is alright in my book, but I don't think the thread should be about him. If he didn't do it someone else would have. At least the first two Motorcycle Manias were good, so this one should be too. As long Kid Rock isn't in it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone else made a decent stand-alone movie that focuses on the history of choppers and the culture surrounding them?

From a purely practical standpoint, projects like this need to be done NOW, before all of the guys that lived these times are dead and before we rose-tint the past to the point where it becomes distorted. All kinds of books are starting to come out, but would this interest in history and documentation have come about without the sudden hype around bikes?

I think this is an important and distinct part of American history that will be forgotten or whitewashed or mythologized without projects and interest like this.

begin tangent:
This is sort of the boat that skinheads are in. They had no high-profile members that could use their resources to tell their stories. The mainstream media took control of the history of skinheads and they are just treated caricatures of neo-nazis, and that is all. The entire history and culture of traditional skins in America is ignored. SInce they took no control of the telling of their history, for Americans, skinhead=nazi. For a long time, for Americans, Chopper=dirtbag rider. It is no accident that they are almost interchangable and appear together in a lot B movies.
end tangent:

Sonny Barger and Hunter Thompson have provided some part of the history, but they can't be the only historians for choppers. It would be an honest, but skewed point of view. The perception of bikes and bikers has changed drastically in the last few years, and it is no crime to feed interest with honest portrayals produced by the people living it and not by a television producer. It is not opportunistic to get some stories told, it is good timing.

·
Registered
591 Posts
My CD player is broken again. (I go through them every six months because of overspray and metal dust.) I've been too busy to find another one so I've had to settle for the radio. Because I'm in the Sonoma Valley I only get 2 stations, an oldie station and a "heavy" one.

At first it was cool, but after a couple days I notice they're playing the same 30 songs over and over. With some of this new "Emo" metal they play the same song twice an hour. The commercials take forever and the volume goes way up, but worse...the DJ machineguns "witty banter" in every available space, then walks all over the intro to the next song, usually with another commercial.

There's Ricky Rachman with his "Race Rock" trying to keep corporate stock car racing going strong and video game commercials that actually have other commercials in them! A band named Seether is copying Kurt Cobain's voice, Rob Zombie's gone '70's soft rock and if I hear "Twisted Transistor" one more time I'm throwing the whole stereo in the alley.

I wanted all the above when I started my shop 13 years ago, but there's just something wierd about seeing a 55 year old man wearing a red beanie and baggy Dickies on his knees in Wal-Mart, arguing with an 8 year old kid over a die cast toy.

It is all as if I am what going to go to the insane somehow.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think some of the stories shouldn't be told. What people did in a certain time period was influenced by what was happening in society at the time be it economic,political,artistic, or religeous. People were reacting to these various influences and coming up with different ways to deal with these influences. The guys coming home from WW2 and building lake racers and bobbers weren't doing it to be "cool" they were doing it as a sort of theripy to what they encountered over seas.

It's been said that everything old will be new again, i wish this wasn't true. Can't people come up with new ways of doing things with out retreading the past? Being influenced by the past is ok but to dirrectly copy it doesn.t seems right. What was going on inside the biulders head when he put that bike together? what was he /she dealing with at that time? war, bad or good ecomomy,civil rights, lack of civil rights,fucked up political situtation, what ever, We can't recreate that scenerio from that time period and it's influences. We can just deal with what we have now and react accordingly. There are new styles being created as we speak but everybody seems to be embracing things that are already established and worn out. Let's see some of the new styles and ways people are doing things. Let's respect the past and the things from it but lets' make the future our own. WOW, were did that come from?
Gregg

·
Registered
591 Posts
Conder said:
My CD player is broken again. (I go through them every six months because of overspray and metal dust.) I've been too busy to find another one so I've had to settle for the radio. Because I'm in the Sonoma Valley I only get 2 stations, an oldie station and a "heavy" one.

At first it was cool, but after a couple days I notice they're playing the same 30 songs over and over. With some of this new "Emo" metal they play the same song twice an hour. The commercials take forever and the volume goes way up, but worse...the DJ machineguns "witty banter" in every available space, then walks all over the intro to the next song, usually with another commercial.

There's Ricky Rachman with his "Race Rock" trying to keep corporate stock car racing going strong and video game commercials that actually have other commercials in them! A band named Seether is copying Kurt Cobain's voice, Rob Zombie's gone '70's soft rock and if I hear "Twisted Transistor" one more time I'm throwing the whole stereo in the alley.

I wanted all the above when I started my shop 13 years ago, but there's just something wierd about seeing a 55 year old man wearing a red beanie and baggy Dickies on his knees in Wal-Mart, arguing with an 8 year old kid over a die cast toy.

It is all as if I am what going to go to the insane somehow.
You need SIRIUS.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I can totally understand being protective of one's chosen subculture but nothing is immune to popularity.
Just be thankfull the "Flavor of the month" only lasts that long.
Take swing music for instance.
My grandfather was singing Cab Calloway songs to me when I was 3 & I clearly remember him sitting me on the old maytag telling me to beat out Gene Krupa's constant 4 bass drum until I dented Nanny's prized appliance.
Now, imagine my dismay when suddenly these new (albeit horrible) swing bands got popular at the end of the 90's for what....6 months maybe?
This is the music I got made fun of for and now its....POPULAR?

Although some good did come out of it.
Take all those neat Rhino swing compilations for instance.....
Bob Crosby and his Bobcats on cd?!?!?!?
I can save my 78's?!?!?
Great!
Maybe its possible some sort of good can come out of spoonfeeding "chopper history 101" to the masses?
I dunno.
I can't let it bother me anymore.
I like what I like popular or not & I suppose if its going to bother you that suddenly everyone knows about your little niche then why are you into it in the first place?
You were into "it" (whatever it may be) before everyone else knew about it & you'll be into "it" long after the masses have moved on. Won't you?......so what's the problem?

Shit, I'm babbling.

Oh!
I forgot to mention....I'm GLAD Jesse James has done this & I actually LIKE what he does. I can't wait to see it.
FWIW I hate, hate HATE commercial radio....and Shitbird....when IS that movie showing up out here?

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
My favorite JJ quote was when he was asked who he builds bikes for....His reply..."Assholes" Thanks Car and Driver for the interview. As for the movie, it will probably be good.

And for popularity of certain trends....they come and go....I just do what I like without any need for group hugs.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.