Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They scare me...
I bought a volti-(multi?)meter two months ago and i still don't know how it works.

I guess i'm not scared as much as i'm just clueless when it comes to wiring. So i gots a few questions...

The wiring on my bike was pretty hacked when i got it years ago. Since then, i've done some hacking myself. I live on the coast and everything i own is prone to corrosion. I put a new ignition setup on it last year and it wasn't pretty, but it works....for now. I know its only a matter of time before shit starts shorting out.

Can you guys recommend me books/websites/diagrams that will help lead me down the path? I need to rewire my whole bike. I want to make it tight and bulletproof. It's a simple setup, and i'm keeping it that way.

I know there have been posts on it in the past and i even put a post in the tech archives awhile back but haven't had much luck. I've just kinda been putting it off, but i know its gonna come back and bite me in the ass when i'm out in the middle of nowhere so i wanna deal with it now.

As a last resort...what can i expect to shell out to have somebody do it for me?

Gracias in advance.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,247 Posts
wiring is very simple so dont let it intimidate you, do the work yourself and you will be surprised how easy it is, also you will know exactly whats up with your bike if you have a problem down the road...to point you in the right direction it would help to know what type of bike you are wiring and any additional electric's you need, like turn signals and crap like that; remember the simpler the better.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, sorry bout that....
It's a 91 FXR, 96" evo. headlight with hi-lo, tailight/brakelight, no turnsignals, no buttons on the bars, key switch turns it over. It's got the Crane Hi-4 ignition.
I just recently put a little speedo on it that has wires for a light i think, but i couldn't get it to work.

Like i said, i think its pretty simple. It's got the stock harness on it, packed with wires, but there's only a few in there being used. What i start sweatin' is the breakers/fuses and what guage wire to use where...

:confused:

·
Registered
179 Posts
there's 2 simple rules for wiring a bike:
1) paranoia rocks - assume everything is going to go wrong as far away from civilization as possible
2) use the right tools even if it means buying some nice ones.

that being said i'm a total hypocrit and trent can attest to that after seeing my personal bike. i wired a bike a few weeks ago for $, it was a ground up build so it was done right. use connectors to break out components like lights, ignition, etc. use real connectors like weatherpak's or deutsch connectors and this means buying crimpers that are correct for your pins. if you don't, refer to rule #1 again. use lots of heatshrink around your solder joints because moisture kills wiring just as quickly as sharp edges do. use different color wires (that make sense) and write down the schematic to your system.

i'm sure there are books available, but i learned in by doing it and then doing it over when it came apart.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Allright...thanks dudes.
I guess i just gotta grab my sack and do it.

Keep any info coming...

Like, do you hook everything up from one end, let the other ends run free and then trim it down to what you need?

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah, if you can run each wire as a single wire with no splicing that is way better than adding a splice. that's not always practical though. the bike i just did is a showboat and all the wires were internal to the frame tubes. i'd never repeat never, do this for a bike for myself that i'm going to ride. but this thing was 10 feet long with a 330 rear tire.

if you run a starter, run a short ground from the battery to the frame (clean off the paint there) and also run a ground from the battery to the starter bolts on your primary. this will make the starter last a lot longer. make your positive starter wire as short as possible. 4 guage is fine for these cables, use the good flexible stuff too. most of the wiring is 12 - 16 guage, i prefer to use 12 on all of it and go with weatherpaks because they will handle that large of a wire. deutsch typically use 16 which is borderline on headlights. if you have a lot of excess wires from the stock harness then just delete them completely on the rewire.

use flex loom or the braided loom to group wires together, thei will protect them a bit more running along frame tubes.

dive in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.