Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I was a wee lad, my Granddad used to sit and whittle things

he would whittle wooden chains out of tree limbs with nothing more than a Case XX 2-blade folder....hours upon hours he would spend whittling anything he could think of......and eventually,he layed down some foldy stuff and bought whole sets of carving tools

I was always piqued by his skills,tried my hand at it a few times but never seemed to have the steady hand nor the patience he did.....and to prove my lack of a steady hand,I have the scars of multiple jabs,stabs,and lacerations to show for

While beautiful wooden birds and mammals were not in my field of interest in those years, Skulls,demons and the music of bands like Metallica,Slayer,and Iron Maiden were my hobby of choice.....soon I had decided that knives were for defending yourself and not so much creating wooden renditions of Nature`s Wonders

A few weeks ago,while pondering my build,I was thinking of Grandad and all the things he was good at and passed down to me.....I want to impart a piece of myself in this bike as it`s an art form to me....my mind went back to those days in the chair on his porch bleeding all over the place and wondering what sort of sick dude would hand his 9 year-old grandson a knife sharp enough to split hairs and let him whack away at some piece of dead wood

So there I sat in my Lay-Z-Boy....picking the grease out of my nails with a utility knife I got from my tool belt for work....my self-manicure soon turned to whittling my thumbnail to a point and thinking how much you could hurt somebody with a sharpened thumbnail....I was REAL bored

I got this hair up my ass to go out to the shed and pick up a scrap of 2x4 that I was using to prop up my Bonnie frame......took it inside the house and spread out some newspaper on the floor in front of my recliner....all the while my Girlfriend looked at me as if I had temporary insanity.....yet again

After just a couple hours of whacking away at this scrap of wood with no pre-concieved notion of what I wanted to make,I ended up with this......of course I couldn`t resist snatching a Bic pen out of the drawer and coloring in the detail......I thought to myself "This would be a cool pimp cane".....of course the pimp would have to be two feet tall to use this 18 inch "pimp cane" so I thought to myself "would make a cool shifter handle for the build".....and so it is......

I know it`s crude.....that`s the point....Crude is who I am.....maybe I was trying to hard when I was little....maybe I didn`t have the patience to wield a knife with skill.....but know this....when I see it on the bike,I will know it`s a piece of my soul....and a story of my past....in all it`s crude glory

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
My pops is a woodcarver... shocked the hell out of us when he started right after he retired.. some serious natural talent.. My suggestion, get one or two decent woodcarving knives.. they are small , look like exacto knives with a big wood handle.. draw things on your wood.. front view and side.. rough it out with a rasp.. then cut away everything that dont look like what you want.. basswood is easiest to carve.

one hand.. short strokes... a bit at a time.. work all over the object evenly.

http://www.chippingaway.com/WoodCarving/images/chisels&gougesimages/CarvingKnife.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.