Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An excellent piece written by a motorcycle mechanic explaining the satisfaction one receives from work achieved by the hands, an outline of the true brainpower necessary to be skilled at keeping these old piles we call motorcycles running day-to-day, and a concise examination of the disassociation many of us feel from working in jobs which do not speak to our personal motivations and interests.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html

·
Banned
160 Posts
thats a really great article , tho i might be biased as i work in an office and go to school for welding..
thanks for posting that link

Cheers,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the link. It seems like this is a book worth buying, atleast for me. He seems to hit realizations that a lot of us have. I have only 28 hours left to finish my mechanical engineering degree but yet I have been pouring concrete for close to 30 years. I can't be trapped in a cubicle! I have to create with my hands on a daily basis like a junkie needs a fix. The rewards are priceless but yet the people that are teaching our children are proclaiming that the art of a tradesman is a low level, low paying, subserviant job. In fact, I just recently read the riot act to my 15 year old son's math teacher of the rewards of creating with your hands, mentally and financially. It should be a priority of all of us to plant the seed of the rewards of working with your hands and your mind at the same time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for posting this.
Not only did I have a great read during my lunch, it also puts some things into place for me.
Like: why do I always look at the ads that are not manger-related but more down to earth?
Let's see if I can find the courage to change some things... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great article...as a machinist for 28 years..I can appreciate the value of working with your hands..not many of us left..I think it funny when people marvel at what I do..At one time the whole country was doin it..not any more..

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great article. That being said, I need to go to my buddy's house here in a minute and pick up my tins that I painted in his garage yesterday and wet sand them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Same way here. I'm a Chef, I spend 50+ hours a week creating with my hands (and knives, and fire...fun!)...then when I go home I'm always building something...bikes, cars, furniture, home remodeling, it never ends. If I had to punch a clock and sit in a cube I'd eat a fucking bullet.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have never had a real job, but I spend about 20-30 hours a week tinkering, building and trying to learn every step of the way. I'm pretty happy when I'm working on a project. those are great articles and worth a read

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Re: The case for working with your hands

It's very good, thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Well I was only able to read the first page from my cubicle, but what I did read was great. I will surely finish this one at home. Hopefully it will inspire me to "do" rather than just think about "doing"! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Shades of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' too. It got me thinking, or at least confirmed what I've already been thinking.

·
Registered
856 Posts

This sounds like me! Cubicle worker by day, daydreaming of being a bike builder in my own shop! Glad he made the jump. Maybe one day I will too.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Hey fella's,

Not to be nasty or anything, but the article was mentioned on here a few days a go. See here

Maybe the mods can merge them?

Nonetheless a good article!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts