This is my first "ground Up" build.The wife has christened it "Bottom Feeder" because most of the parts have come from scouring the net and snatching up stuff others have discarded.
Here's day two, I didn't take a pic of the motor when I brought it home because i was so anxious to get it scrubbed and a peek inside and get the crusty rocker boxes polished. Speaking of polished, all of the parts shown in this thread were polished by hand. No buffing wheels, just files, sandpaper and Mothers.
This started nearly 3 years ago. I'd hoped to have it finished this spring but like so many others right now, money has been very tight. For now, I feel good knowing that it's still moving forward.
My Labor of Love.
Building motor. Bottom already done (oil pump rebuilt, new gaskets, breather, shims, bushings, clearances checked, etc), jugs blasted and painted, heads assembled with new valve guides, valves.
I don't have tranny build pics. My ADD/OCD took over and as soon as I had it in my hands and it got worked over. It got some new internals, FX top, new covers, seals...
Custom ordered. The gap between the top tube and the rear rocker box on most aftermarket frames bugged me so it took a while to get the numbers together. I wanted the top line as straight as possible and hug the rear rocker box and still be 30-0-0. They fookin nailed it.
First slap together, I need to buy some more blue tape. Not sure about the tank, I have a couple more in mind. I won't decide until I get the others. The bars gotta go, too much rise and sweep.. plus, I can't cut them narrow enough to match the width of the pegs and still have room for the controls.
I cleaned all of the logos off of the bars and after much agonising I've decided to put the polish beast back in his cage and leave the bars bead blasted. They look real nice and match the bead blast on the heads. The front end is getting a little over polished I think and a little bead blast here and there will tone it down a little. I may bead blast the calipers to match.
Edit: Polish beast is sitting in the corner grumbling... keeps saying something about the anodizing on the bars looks purple.
Edit #2 : Had a dream last night the the bike was finshed and I was pissed because the handlebars were purple... Mmmm... polish..
Fabbed up the tallight/plate mount. I actually got to use some semi-real tools (angle grinder,welder) but I still broke out the dremel for the hell of it. I actually managed to make this without cutting or burning myself.... I must be getting the hang of it. I did manage to grind a hole in my boot tho.