Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
Does anyone know anything about the Terrot motorcycles and their engines? I've been searching alot on the internet, but mostly I find is written in French, and I don't understand French at all!

My dad has an old BMW standing with a Terrot 500cc engine in it. I love the looks of the Terrot motor. It's a onebanger sidevalve and most likely from a RDTT warbike that the germans braught to Norway during WW2. It's also the same looking motor in the Terrot RL.

Does anyone have info on this engine? How much Hp, is it a good engine?

I've been fantasizing about a Bobber build for awhile, and it might have been cool to have the Terrot engine in a build like that.

Here's a few pics of the Terrot.

Here's the RDTT war bikes

And here's few of the RL. Sweet looking motor :cool:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, they used JAP in the twenties, but gradually designed their own engines. By the early 30s, it was all TerroT made except tyres, magnetos and lights.

Just about the best French make you can buy, they combined very good quality with large output.

Most of the info will be in French...

You can date them from frame numbers, not by engine numbers. They don't have models idents on the engine number, so photos would be welcome to narrow what it actually is. They had unit type construction in both 500cc (R type) and 350cc (H type)

Best french site/forum for info, some speak english there, so don't be affraid to ask...:

http://terrot.org/forum/index.php

I own one of their 1934 little 175cc LCP OHV racers:

Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patrick, Your bike is sweet! I agree with Swede that you post some more pictures.
Horst Heiler, thanks for the add and thanks for tipping me about Michaels page. Lots of great info on his site.
Google transelator works great!
I really like the looks of the 500 engine, but I won't be pulling wheelies with 12,5hp.
Is there any way I can make any more power out of it?

·
Registered
769 Posts

Period shot of my bike circa 1937...:

As for tuning side valves, visit my site, below my signature, it's all about Harley side valve KR racers... Top speed during the Daytona 200 qualifying in 1968, 152mph by Roger Reiman out of a 750cc...

Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love your bike, Patrick!
I'll have to study you webpages. Your www.jonghi.org website doesn't work.
So you think there might be hope to get some power out of the old TerroT sidevalve then? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It said 12,5 hp on the add Horst Heiler posted.
Here's a couple pictures of the German bike with the French heart....

Got some other projects to choose forme too:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Seen most of one once at the Davenport swap meet,I think it was a dude named Arthur who was originally from Holland who pointed it out.He said I think they are still common in France and Belgium.Ive never seen or heard of any others in the States though.Pretty cool looking though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice stuff...love the NSU...
Thanks, that NSU is still a project. It's a 1953. My dad's got a 52 and I have a 54. Great bikes, but not fast at all. One cyl 500cc.

Here's my 54 is almost done and my dad's 52

Both standing in front of my 60 chevy

Got the tank! Now I just need the rest to build a bobber. Not sure if I'll use the BMW/Terrot or if I'll go for a classic Triumph.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts