Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got Bobbers,Choppers,Trackers, and a whole lot more....Why can't it just be cool to be "MY BIKE" or "MY RUSTY PIECE OF SHIT"? I guess I'm just anti-social

·
motorcycle enthusiast
2,656 Posts
same reason there is mexican food , asian food , italian food . . . or sports cars , customs , & limos . you need to have a word to define something in order to know what you are talking about . otherwise " go check out my cool bike parked outside " could mean the chrome & red GSXR or the green Norton racer or the Raked out Panhead with the torn seat . . . im mean definitions shouldnt be a prison , but you need to be able to have a conversation make sense :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
You're right. We should just call everything...that thing. Hey you go get that thing and bring ot over here next to this other thing. Naming things is dumb.

·
Registered
149 Posts
shakedown88 said:
We got Bobbers,Choppers,Trackers, and a whole lot more....Why can't it just be cool to be "MY BIKE" or "MY RUSTY PIECE OF SHIT"? I guess I'm just anti-social
It doesnt which was the point of my this is a bobber thread

·
Registered
200 Posts
dipshits need to be able to communicate.

the very basis of communication is that objects and ideas need to be defined, categorized, and labeled with a set of words and definitions that is understood by the community. like someone said above, you would have a hard time describing which motorcycle is yours if the only word you can use is "motorcycle."

the downside to communicating with specialized slang like "bobber" is that you can't look it up in the merriam-webster dictionary. some will argue that it's a stripped down stock bike, while others will argue that it's a chopper with a short/stock wheelbase. either way though, the definitions are similar enough that no one would confuse "bobber" with "crotch rocket".
<O:p</O:p
what's silly is getting bent out of shape about the definition of a word. language is an ever evolving concept. just because the 50's definition of a bobber was a stock bike stripped of fenders and other extraneous weight doesn't necessitate that the word means the same thing now. remember when "gay" meant cheerful and lighthearted?

thanks for reading,
ed

·
Registered
131 Posts
Labels suck...but you need a discription of somthing to have a conversation. Listen to music...what rock, swing, jazz, pop...

Oh, I bought a new bike
yeah, what did ya get?
I got a Harley
Yeah, what kind did ya get?
It's a sled.
What the fuck are you talking about, a sled is a car

I saw a good post yesterday for those in the dark...lotsa good pics. A bobber is not a tracker is not a chopper is not glide is not a restored is not a grinder is not a ....well, you get it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.