Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use an old banquet coffee pot as a hot tank for cyl's, heads and other small parts. mix up some simple green and water 50/50 and let'er get hot. it will even remove the old paint on cyl's. the best part is you can just blow them dry and paint them while their still hot.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Re: tech week offering

Great tip! I've boiled up my carbs in water and lemon juice to loosen up gunk before! Anybody have other tips?! Post em'.

·
Registered
373 Posts

I use the wife's old crock pot with lemon juice. I boil the carbs for a few hours or longer and they come out really clean. The crock pot works great for cleaning other small parts too...

·
Registered
206 Posts

My only advice on the lemon boiling shit is to get the lemon juice to a boil before you drop the carbs in. For whatever reason (I fell asleep in hish school chemistry), dropping them in the juice before it boils causes some rust issues. Also, the clearcoat generally gets stripped off the carbs, spray em down with wd-40, blot dry, and then apply clear coat to fix this.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts

I use the crockpot method for old metal architectural parts, just water and DAWN.

This coffepot deal, you mean the big nasty 12" diameter percolators? Those fuckers better be good for something 'cause they sure cant make a good cup of coffee.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Ive heard of this method before, but heard that it really only works good for the outside of the carbs and they still need gone through with a can of carb cleaner to be cleaned properly. Is this correct or does the boiling really clean them inside and out?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Many years ago I got some engine cases blasted - I told the fella I wanted them done with aluminium oxide and the dick went and used chilled iron. Every time I went out in the rain I got rusty alloy cases!! Since then I always use a BIG milk pail with old fashioned soap flakes. Boil them for about 20 minutes and all the gunk comes out of the pores. Gets them really clean and it leaves a more durable finish than blasting.

·
Registered
492 Posts

at least im not the only one with a angry wife. the best part is using the crock pot and forgetting the carbs are in there.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

Good idea on the weekly tech tip post. Here's mine.
Make a simple cam cover, motor pully, whatever puller. You'll need a C-clamp and a peice of 1/8 or 1/4 plate. I used a 4 inch c-clamp from harbor freight. Cut the c-clamp so you can weld the threaded section onto the plate and use the screw part with the wobble foot as your push bar. Drill holes to match what ever you're trying to get off the motor or what ever. The pics describe this better then I can write it. Total cost about 4 bucks.....well 20 bucks if you include cost of beer.

·
Registered
661 Posts

When dissembling a springer front end, put the axle in then run a ratchet strap from the middle of the axle to the bottom trees and ratchet it down a little. Then take the top nuts off the top springs along with the top springs. Then loosen the racthet and pull the rest of it apart. You can reassemble it the same way.

Also a trick for bleeding brakes on a long springer or whatever is to run a 1/4" hose from the bleeder valve on the caliper up in the air higher than the master cylinder. Works everytime.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.