Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i'm not nearly as creative as some of you guys, but i didn't want to shell out big bucks on a neck cup installer

my cheap ass went to Ace Hardware, got a 3 foot section of all thread (which was way longer than i needed, but oh well) and a couple of nuts to fit the 3/4 allthread, and some big ass washers. i think that i spent about $6. i got 4 of the washers to fit the 3/4 bar, and then some bigger washers. sorry i don't remember the sizes. anyways, i got 8 of them.

stick the cups onto your neck, with the threaded rod going through, the 4 bigger washers were placed through on either end, then the 2 smaller ones, then the nuts. it was kinda noisy, but by tightening them evenly, i got the neck cups installed in about 2 min's, and didn't have to take a hammer to em! it actually worked quite well......

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
tom had this set up. i used it to put in my cups. i then stole one of the big washers. welded the washer on the side of my frame to hold the key switch. good times, good times.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just use a socket, that I don't like or that I am angry at at the moment, that is slightly larger than the cup opening and wail away with a bfh. Cups pop right out then bounce all over the shop floor. A long shitty screw driver through the opening works as well. It totally fucks the handle but it does not hurt the cups.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
knocking em out, i've used an old socket on a 6" extention and just tapped em out. the crappy ballbearing ones came out looking like shit, cuz i beat the piss outta em, but the good chrome ones came out perfect, with only one little ding on the inside of one, where it goes into the neck. slowly.

also, i used a shop rag and some duct tape to catch em. made a little bag similar to a crap catcher that parade horses have....

also, if you heat em up with a torch, they seem to come out even easier

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
To remove those stubborn cups, Take a piece of steel tubing that just

clears the inside of the I.D. of the cup. Cut a four or five in slot in it long

ways on a band saw, then turn it 90 degrees and cut another matching

slot to make four slots total around the circumference of the tube. Now

spread the tubing out a little on the end so that you can pull it into the

cup backwards(From the uncut side of the tubing section), then just

push it up against the cup, and tap it out. The tubing contacts at four

points on the cup and doesn't make a single mark on the cup. Also, if it slips through the I.D. of the cup you're trying to remove, simply insert something up into the expanded part of the tubing to stop it from collapsing under the force of the hammer blow, like one of those sockets and extensions mentioned in the other replies, thats what I've used when needed. The outward force of the socket will help keep it firmly on top of the cup instead of letting it slip through. Have fun, be safe

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.