Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
BuzzKilr said:
Thanks. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this thread.

Rob
Cool man! Hope it helped! There are lots of ways to do this, but thought I would show you what I did. I guess the biggest thing is picking the right reference points to get things true and square. Lots of measuring and just being patient. Hopefully even some of the ideas will help someone.

Let me know if it helped. Curious if this process worked for anyone else.

Cheers!
Scooter

·
Banned
377 Posts
watch out for offset wheels... some people build offset wheels to get a fat 16" tyre onto a British bike which hasn't got room for it. If you have one of these, you will have a pemanent problem which the above procedure can't deal with.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
watch out for offset wheels... some people build offset wheels to get a fat 16" tyre onto a British bike which hasn't got room for it. If you have one of these, you will have a pemanent problem which the above procedure can't deal with.
Yep! This is true! You would have to handle things differently in that case.

Good point to bring up!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there any benefit of a bolt on hard-tail versus a weld on? It seems that all of that allignment would be made easier with a weld on. It also seems a bit dodgy to just bolt a hard-tail on I've seen a grip of fasteners break and I would hate to be going 80 when that goes down. I apologize if this is a completely stupid question but I AM a rookie biatch.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
One of the major benefits to a hardtail is the ability to change the design of the bike without major surgery. For example, poeple that buy a 6" over hardtail, then decide they like the 4" or if you get old and need suspension or whatever. If you buy a hardtail from someone reputable, you may be able to avoid some of the alignment issues- I checked my bolt-on hardtail jobs, and never had any major misalignment. I wouldn't worry about the hardware, as long as it's high quality- and use locknuts!. Triumphs have had bolt- on rear sections as far back as I know, I've never heard of a stock 40's or 50's bike that broke in half from hardware failure. I think just about any pre- oil in frame Triumph has a front loop bolted to a rear section: be it rigid or swingarm. As far as looks, I think a welded on bolt-on hardtail looks worst than just bolt-on, but that's just my opinion. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Is there any benefit of a bolt on hard-tail versus a weld on? It seems that all of that allignment would be made easier with a weld on. It also seems a bit dodgy to just bolt a hard-tail on I've seen a grip of fasteners break and I would hate to be going 80 when that goes down. I apologize if this is a completely stupid question but I AM a rookie biatch.
With the correct bolts torqued appropriately there shouldn't be a problem. If the hardtail is never going to be changed weld it in place or buy a weld-on tail.

The best tip that could come out of this thread is BUY A GOOD QUALITY HARD TAIL!! The one I bought from MAP SUCKED!!! The welds looked nice, but it was completely tweeked... thus leading to the birth of this thread. I hear Wes (Four Aces Cycle), Choppahead, and a couple other people (another of which is a JJ'r) has a good product.

Cheers!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.