Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost every old Triumph I work on has had the crap beaten out of the rocker shafts, at least the end with the o-ring. Here is a way to get out those ancient, frozen, rocker shafts without the use of a hammer. I'm not the first to do it this way, but I've not seen a thread here on it either.

The hitch is you need to have, or have access to a lathe.

With the jaws open enough to clear the shaft, use the tail stock feed wheel to push the oil-side of the shaft in flush with the rocker box. From there you should be able to pull the rest of the shaft out by hand. Easy, huh?

You can install them the same way. The slow speed at which the shaft goes back in also helps not to rip the o-ring (if you use the o-ring compressing/install tool) Just be sure your washers are aligned well. Since I face and polish the ends, I use a bit of leather to keep from marring the ends when I put them back in.
Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the stuff I made to install the shafts: aluminum rod with divot of leather glued to the end. Scrap of leather for chuck-side of rocker box, and home-made o-ring install tool. One tip: install the shaft with the bottom of the box facing up so you can see if the shaft is snagging the thackery washer.

[/URL]

BAM! Shaft installed right and with no damage or drama

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Very nice but I remember just using a nut and a spacer on oil feed end winding it home slowly maybe copper faced mallet was involved too .nothing got damaged

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, but now I have the urge to go and hammer something.
Hahaha! Don't foget, there are still plenty of other areas on Triumphs that are completely appropriate to use a hammer. :D

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice but I remember just using a nut and a spacer on oil feed end winding it home slowly maybe copper faced mallet was involved too .nothing got damaged

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah, I've used that method too without destroying things. I posted this thread, not as the "only way" but as one way that happens to be easier, faster, and much more likely to get a good seal on the ends of the rocker shafts.
Cheers, Dan.

·
Banned
980 Posts
Only ever dropped the box in boiled water and punched 'em but I've only had to do it to the same bike for 30 somethin' yrs.
Now I have access to a lathe I'll be doing it your way from now, I dig it, it's a good idea, controlled operation, Thanks man.
Browny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.