Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some might remember that I had a problem with my brass risers from DMC.
here is a fix.The 1/4"-20 screw that held the handlebars to the risers sheered.
This is what I did to fix that problem. Pic#1&2 is of new hardware from McMaster-Carr.it is military grade steel flat head screw 3/8"X16-1".

pic#2

The clamp that holds the handlebars had to be opened up from 1/4" to 3/8" and the inside had to be made larger as showned in pic #3
then the body of the riser which holds the clamp had to be drilled out to 5/16" then taped with a 3/8"-16 tap.
In pic#4 the head of the new 3/8"cap screw then had to be turned down to fit flush inside the cap. this was done with my drill press and a angle grinder
then the 3/8" caps crew had to be cut down to length to pin the clamp to the body of the riser Last pic is of finished riser/w new hardware.......sorry couldn't fit last pic................

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can't believe anyone would sell risers with 1/4 bolts holding them together!
Good upgrade, considering most risers mount with 1/2 bolts I'd still be worried about
3/8 but I'm a pussy

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe anyone would sell risers with 1/4 bolts holding them together!
Good upgrade, considering most risers mount with 1/2 bolts I'd still be worried about
3/8 but I'm a pussy
My concern with 1/2"was the amount of material that would have to be removed to get a bolt that dia. in that cap area.I would like more feedback on the "safe" dia. bolt that should be used.I also mainly did this write up to alert owners of the potential problems with the DMC riser.I asked the Owners of DMC to acknowledge the short coming of there product and post on this board a "how to fix" TECH. but have not received any response.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
My concern with 1/2"was the amount of material that would have to be removed to get a bolt that dia. in that cap area.I would like more feedback on the "safe" dia. bolt that should be used.I also mainly did this write up to alert owners of the potential problems with the DMC riser.I asked the Owners of DMC to acknowledge the short coming of there product and post on this board a "how to fix" TECH. but have not received any response.
Marc , I dont think i would have those on any bikes again even with the upgrade. Just a feeling I have.... Still a weak link.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Nice upgrade but I don't understand why they didn't braze the parts together even with the machine screw for extra strength. A 1/4" screw which basically held the bars in place seems a little small.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^DAN BOY I like the brazing idea^^^^I think I will look into that.

·
Registered
689 Posts
there is no way you are pulling apart a 3/8" bolt, especially if it is grade 8 or military grade. the weak link is the threads in the brass, but it looks as though your countersunk cap screw has over 1/2" of threads enguaging into the main body of the riser, so i think you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for posting this, I have a set of these risers I plan on using on my build when i get back from deployment. They seemed pretty weak to me and I was cautious of using them the way they are.
57 rigid,Thanks for posting.This is my intent to alert others that have received this part and alert them of the possible Danger . Also, Thank You for your Service.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have a set of the DMC risers, 8 inchers, and recently started to feel a LOT of wobble in them.
Turns out the screws (5/16" in mine, not 1/4") had started backing out.
Thankfully, the threads cut into the brass didn't suffer and I was able to button everything back up again & end up with solid risers that no longer move.
I'm going the brazing rote anyway --- there's no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to keeping your steering together & in one piece.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The construction of those risers is ridiculously shitty.

Look at the the way the bar clamp is bolted (screws, really) to the part that engages the stand. Seriously? Someone figured this would be a safe way to attach handlebars to a motorcycle? There's hardly any material in the clamp. No well-designed part would intentionally depend on the shear strength of a fastener for integrity. Fasteners are primarily intended for clamping applications and not shear.

And brass? Soft metal, and not much of it, constructed poorly is all that lies between you and loss of control of your motorcycle.

Why even consider using these? They have already proven a failure. Luckily, in an ideal way where no one was hurt.

Can't say it strongly enough. These risers are a fucking joke. Don't risk your life on them.

Jason

·
Registered
815 Posts
I work in aircraft manufacturing, and this horrifies me. The engineering, and the application.

Your fix is much better, but I still wouldn't risk my chin sliding on the pavement at 70+ on it.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Click on folder above to read more about this company.
kickstart rockett, Jason, Thanks for your input.I have not yet ordered new risers for the re-build of my bike, but once again my main purpose is to alert Other buyers of this product. And by posting your valued comments it has keept this thread alive and maybe a rider or two in the future.Thanks.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
They sure look the same, a little bejewelled for my liking.

D.
I remembered his thread and I thought they looked like the same style. I just wanted to make sure they were the same make before I emailed him to hip him to this thread and any potential problems with his risers turning to shit on the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.