Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well,
A while back me and GumbyChuck were on one of our worldly tours of the south and walked into Gringos garage and what did we see an nice original peanut tank on the mock up of his new scoot.Well up on close inspection it had something that it did not have when Chuck sent it to Sean.It had a slight modifacation that Sean had preformed and it did not fit the current build style so I offered up my Shoelicious talent and the tank was loaded in the truck and on the way to Indiana.

So I have seen so many bullshit posts (water freezing,drilling holes) on other sites about how to fix a dent in a tank and all the wrong ways posted that I thought I would try to show the correct way it is to be preformed without doing more damage to the tank than what has already occured.

So without further ado we have a little pictoral for those that dont like to read.

1. All the finish must be removed from the affected area.Usually with a small roll lock grider disc and it must be clean I repeat clean.

2. Once surface is prepared we bring out the big gun.It is a stud gun which welds small brass tacks to the area with out damage to the surface.

3.Now nails are welded to all of the low spots and this is where the Porcupine look comes in.At this point we are now ready to start the removal process.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
4. 4.now that the nails are in place there is a slide hammer apperatis that attaches to the studs and will pull out said BooBoo.I usually lay tank over a body stand but today we gonna use the bed of my roadster truck to make it stable why we pull the dents.

5.Now we preform pulls in a series from the center out and this will bring the dent out.Once pulled to the desired height we take apair of ***** and cut nails from tank and grind nubs of.At this time if there is still low spots repeat with more nails and pull again till all the dent has been raised.

6. Now then its time to cut nails again and metal finish area with a grinder.Once this is done it takes very litle filler just some to smooth out the rough edges and she is ready for primer and blocking.No damage no drilling holes and welding them up hoping it doesnt leak.Sometimes though a nail may pull a hole in the tank because if the metal has been stretched enough and moved the properties of it it can make it thin and weaker so this would be the only time welding would need to be done.

ready for primer and finish work

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Remember if not familar with this equipment it is best to have someone help you and alway I mean always make sure there is no gas in the tank best to flush with water and let sit a few days before doing this process.I hope this helps some understand it aint rocket science and can be done easily and affordable.So dont over look a tank that might have some damage cause I buyem all day long at bargin prices and turnem in to cherished pieces for the masses.I dont think the average person would have to pay someone to much to have them pull the dent if you had all said prep work done and did the finish work yourself.

Also while at it I went ahead and started to fab a new front mount for it and will mold all of it in as we get further along.

Love Always
Shoe
XOXOXO

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts

·
TI_Tuesday
748 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA shit man, it's almost xmas. i'm on lockdown for buying shit.
pizza cutter is at scooterworks getting the clutch cable looked at.

walk on water? jesus chrysler plymouth dodge.

tom said:
whats up sucka- hows the pizza cutter going? my cost effective alternative is you buy one for your bodyshop and I use it for free! momma pissed? fuckno, I walk on water!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could modify a conventional dent puller and use some small metal tabs and mig them to the dent but then you run the chance of tearing or burnin holes in the tank.Think how much you can make on disgarded tanks left for junk makin them usable again the tool could be paid for in 4 or 5 tanks or less depending on the resale value of the tank once fixed.

Shoe

tom said:
whats does one of those stud-guns cost that can get small jobs like this done and are there any alternatives that can accomplish the same task?

·
Registered
244 Posts
awesome .... finally some good tech. most auto parts stores sell a dent puller made by BONDO i think it sells for like eight bucks, and you can buy some extra screws and weld them to the dent instead of piercing whatever you are working on , but the stud gun is the cats ass compared to the cheaper way..... LUKESTER

Shoe[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
165 Posts
TRIUMPH TERROR said:
That means alot comin from ya.
You're very welcome. I meant it. It's a good post.
This shit's not alchemy. It's just a little skill,
some determination, and a lot of paying attention to detail.

Are you recovered from the Hurricane damaged and all back to normal now?
Getting there.
Signed the lease on the new shop today.
Can't move in for about two more weeks while they put the new roof
on it, but that gives me time to do the electric, build the office, etc...
Trying to minimize downtime and continue being productive.

Really looking forward to it, to.
Twice the size I had, too, plus room for a loft.

Can't wait. Thanks for asking.

Best,

Weyland

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Weyland said:
You're very welcome. I meant it. It's a good post.
This shit's not alchemy. It's just a little skill,
some determination, and a lot of paying attention to detail.

Getting there.
Signed the lease on the new shop today.
Can't move in for about two more weeks while they put the new roof
on it, but that gives me time to do the electric, build the office, etc...
Trying to minimize downtime and continue being productive.

Really looking forward to it, to.
Twice the size I had, too, plus room for a loft.

Can't wait. Thanks for asking.

Best,

Weyland
Glad to hear life is gettin back to normal for ya again.

Shoe

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts