Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 53,XXX mile 83' Shovel...title say's it all; anyone know?

·
6,351 Posts
Have you pulled them? Feel wobbly on their axes?

Replacement rollers are something like $40 a set, as long as the rest of the tappet's in good shape, it's a good option. I did it a while back, drill out old axle, install new axle & bearing.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have 'em out, don't notice anything irregular. Thinking on end of cheap insurance while I have the engine open. I don't have the tooling (recommended min. 6000 psi with a radius crimping anvil) to complete a proper roller bearing replacement so I would have to buy new tappets all together.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Change them. I had the bearing fail on one at around 35-40k, totally my fault as I should have checked them. Not sure where those little suckers went in the engine.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^^^"How'd you get your name?"

It should roll and move side to side, but if you can rotate it any (looking head on into the roller), then you need new ones.

Check with your local MC or even a smaller job shop, labor wouldn't be that much to put new bearings in. A LOT less than new lifters.

Otherwise, I'm sure you can find someone with a hydraulic press (ie, bottle jack press) to swedge the end of the shaft for you. These engines were made to be rebuilt in a fricken corn field with broken glass and cigarette butts...at least, that's how I'm doing mine.

·
6,351 Posts
Mine are Jims; I don't think they had that press requirement.
I recall making a little press from a c-clamp to press the axles in, as well as a tool to mushroom the ends. I think I went as far as to stake the axles too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts