Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary to seal a new tank? I know the stock Yammy tank had no sealer that I know of, so I was wondering if I could get away without sealing my new King tank. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I HATE tank sealers, I also hate brazing, and lead wiped areas, but thats because I chop and modify. I wouldn't use tank sealer, check the tank for leaks before paint, or if possible pressurise to 2 psi, never more than 4 psi and put under water and check for bubbles. Any more than 4 psi and you run the risk of the tank turning into some kind of psycotic mustang tank, and over 20 psi and your looking for a painful trip to the hospital. Some if not most tank sealer cause more problems than they fix. If you do decide to use a tank sealer, pour out the excess and prop the tank in a way that puts the highest point of the tank down, in otherwise upside down, so the excess sealer dries in the top of the tank and not in the bottom. I wouldn't use a sealer unless a tank developed a leak after painting. But it's all just my opinion, just trying to help.

Charley

P.S. And did you notice I never said the word bobber, opps, damn, there I just did, crap, i feel all dirty now. hehe :p

Catfish33 said:
Is it necessary to seal a new tank? I know the stock Yammy tank had no sealer that I know of, so I was wondering if I could get away without sealing my new King tank. Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Some tanks leak right to your doorstep. Just do a pressure/leak test first. If it's a custom chrome tank, it will probably right out of the box. In fact custom chrome even SAYS you HAVE to seal it or they won't guarantee it (if you care about the guarantee anyway). If you do end up sealing it, do a search on here for "tank sealer" or "sealing tanks" or something. Some GREAT info on here.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
This may be a dumb question but what's the best way to rid your tank of Kreem?
Scrape and blow?
Sounds too much like a date I had once.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Richie said:
This may be a dumb question but what's the best way to rid your tank of Kreem?
Scrape and blow?
Sounds too much like a date I had once.......
MEK worked great for me on that Kreem crap! POR15 also makes a decent stipper for the cause. I think I had the best luck with MEK though. Longer it sits the better I think. Used it on a professionally sealed tank to stip it also. Throw in a handful of 1/2"" stainless nuts as an abrasive (reverse tumbling if you will) and just get comfy and start tumbling. May come off in chunks too if it was applied uneven. That's when things get frustrating! Getting the thick chunks out of the cap hole SUCKS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I have used the POR 15 kit and it works very well. I took my tank to my local radiator shop for the prep work before hand and they did an excellent job. Metal ready also seems to work well although I have never used it myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
scootermcrad said:
MEK worked great for me on that Kreem crap! POR15 also makes a decent stipper for the cause. I think I had the best luck with MEK though. Longer it sits the better I think. Used it on a professionally sealed tank to stip it also. Throw in a handful of 1/2"" stainless nuts as an abrasive (reverse tumbling if you will) and just get comfy and start tumbling. May come off in chunks too if it was applied uneven. That's when things get frustrating! Getting the thick chunks out of the cap hole SUCKS!
Sounds like fun.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top