Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I know this subject has been beat to death, but I thought I'd bring it up one more time. I'm stretching a Sportster tank for my Pan and I'm thinking about using sealer in it when it's done. I don't really want to use Kreem, so what else is there? The newer Harleys are sealed with a grey, paint looking sealer, anyone know what it is?
All opinions welcome.
Larry T

· Registered
379 Posts
caffeine said:
any obligatory "take it to a radiator shop and have them pressure test and seal it " answer.
Ya know, I have given this answer many times myself but it occurs to me to ask: Is there any real standard on the products that most shops use? Say, if you didn't have a regular shop that you trusted and were trying someone new, do most shops use good stuff or do some use any old crap and call it a day?

· Registered
804 Posts
I've used both POR-15 and the kit Eastwood sells with success personally. I liked the POR-15 kit just because it worked just as well and costs less. Stay away from Kreme, I've heard nothing but bad news about that shit.

· Registered
5 Posts
BigDdy31 said:
Ya know, I have given this answer many times myself but it occurs to me to ask: Is there any real standard on the products that most shops use? Say, if you didn't have a regular shop that you trusted and were trying someone new, do most shops use good stuff or do some use any old crap and call it a day?
I always used a radiator shop until I tried this Caswell epoxy. When I moved from IL to NC I couldn't find a radiator shop that used the same green sealer that the shop here in Springfield uses, or even a shop that had a sealer for gas tanks. The radiator shop here uses a great sealer, but I haven't seen it when I have been elsewhere. This Caswell stuff works great and would recomend trying it out.

· Registered
973 Posts
Good shops around here use stuff called Red Kote, which is what I would ask for.

BigDdy31 said:

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. A friend of mine owns the only radiator shop within a 50 mile radius, and he fixes leaks the same way I do--with a torch (G). I'll ask him about Red Kote though. I've considered the POR 15 sealer and I'll check out the Caswell stuff.
Thanks again,
Larry T
BTW Caffeine, one of my customers sent you a Kryloned flat black Sportster tank to stripe a year or two ago for his 56.

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Larry BTW Caffeine said:
OK, after I sent that, I decided it didn't look quite right. How about "You pinstriped a Sportster tank for a customer of mine about a year or two ago."(G)
Larry T

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I talked to my local radiator man and he said he could get the Red Kote so I've got a quart coming. I like to buy locally if I can and it was a tossup between the three. I'll let ya'll know what I think of it when it gets here. If I don't like it, we'll try something else.
Larry T

· Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I got a quart of Red Kote and a Quart of POR 15/National Tank Sealer. Haven't gotten any of the Caswell stuff yet, but figured now would be a good time to check it out since I saw another post on sealing a tank.
The Red Kote is pretty thick stuff and starts setting up REAL quick. It basically went from liquid to pretty dry in a couple of minutes. This was with a couple of tablespoons full poured out on a fresh beadblasted, clean surface.
The POR 15 stuff is more like the consistancy of paint and takes a lot longer to start drying, probably close to 15 minutes before it starts setting up.
I'll check it in a while and see what it looks like then.
As far as wich is easier to use, pick your poison. I think you'll have to keep turning the tank a lot longer with the POR 15, but on the other hand it gives you more time to get the whole tank done and looks like it might get into the tight spots better than the Red Kote.
Larry T

· Registered
86 Posts
My only advise is to make sure you are done with any welding before you Kreem or seal the tank. I Kreemed mine and then had to do some welding, the heat lifted and pealed the Kreem and ruined the tank. DOH!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.