Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I love the bare tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for coatings (read CHEAP) that can be put on the tank - looking like bare metal? What about the aluminized coating on some exhaust pipes? Could this be applied and sanded smooth? A dull nickel plate would rock, but would probably crush my wallet.

This is for my under-construction T100. It's going to have either a stock or Sportster tank. I want a bare metal tank with a stripe to match the fender color. I don't want a bare steel tank as the maintenance is more than I could handle.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ceramic coat, its done at your local powder coat shop usualy, but it looks great might be whats on that bike, the pic is to small to see. i have it on my frame and fork know i like it. thats probably aluminum.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's deltron? How has the tank stood up to weather? I built a little Suzuki single cafe for a friend. We used a Yamaha XS750 triple tank, which he stripped, somewhat polished, and clearcoated with some type of hardware store snake oil. It rusted to shit in no time. Hence my concern. I appreciate all the input. The shovel tanks look incredible - just what I'm after.

FEDSLED said:
I scotch brighted and cleared with deltron.

FED

·
Tiny Member
1,453 Posts
If the tank is straight, have it clear powdercoated. Paint is porous due to its curing process. As air escapes, tiny pores are created. This is why you use primer/sealer, to create a barrier between the metal and the paint.

Powdercoating is non-porous, due to the high temp. at which it's baked and its plastic-like properties.

This isn't saying clear paint won't hold up...but it is saying it won't hold up as well as powdercoating in a less-than-perfect environment.

All that bullshit aside, quit being a little ninny and leave the thing bare metal. Gibbs works well and if you do happen upon a rust spot you scuff it off like a real man.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sporticus,
I used acrylic urethane clear and mixed it with DAU2 acrylic uethane hardner. DELTRON is the ppg brand of ac. urethane. It is very durable and the gas don't even fuck it up. I used this clear when I first built the bike and and the tank cracked shortly after so when I welded it it fucket up the clear. I was in a hurry so I just sanded it off and used bomb can clear lacquer instead of deltron and the gas fucked up one half and then rust built up under it and it looked like shit. last spring I re-did it in deltron and I am sure it will last longer than the bike will. it may not be cost effective to go buy a quart of clear and hardner as compared to getting it powder coated but if ya know a painter I am sure he has plenty of extra lying around. Hell just ship it up and I will do it for free just to show ya it works.
FED

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FEDSLED said:
Hell just ship it up and I will do it for free just to show ya it works.
FED
Thanks! I'll likely take you up on that. I need to figure out whether I'm using a Triumph or Sporty tank first. I'm gonna paint a stripe down the middle, and find someone with a generous offer to clearcoat the whole thing. You rock!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Find out what harley did on the new screamin' eagle fat boy, half the tank is bare metal clear coated , the bottom half is clear with an orange tint over raw metal, it looks good and it's gotta be a safe bet if HD does it...... LUKESTER

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that link. I thought Mirrachrome was a bit too shiny, but their product called Ghost Chrome freakin' rocks! It looks like aluminum, which is what I want. The company claims that no special equipment is needed. I'm a hack with a homemade air compressor and cheapo spray gun. I hope I qualify. I'm going to contact the company.

I think there is nothing cooler than aluminum fuel tanks.

mcotie said:
Hey What about this stuff from Alsa Corp called Mirrachrome

http://alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_prodinfo.htm

anyone use it?

Mitch

·
Registered
617 Posts
I agree Sporticus, I would like to do the ghost chrome with the black base coat. I think that would look tits.

Mitch

·
Registered
173 Posts
I now own Hatch's old Triumph. Its in need of some attention. I'm trying to keep the bare metal looking goinng. I actually just bought several cans of clear coat today to respray the frame and tins. But after reading FEDSLED's recommendation, I'm going to give the deltron a try. It looks great on his bike.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Rookie,
I need to ride up to N. Austin to check out the bike, it looks like Hatch did a nice job. I was planning to strip my bike down to bare metal too. I'll be at the Flyrite Choppers open house this weekend.

Rookie said:
I now own Hatch's old Triumph. Its in need of some attention. I'm trying to keep the bare metal looking goinng. I actually just bought several cans of clear coat today to respray the frame and tins. But after reading FEDSLED's recommendation, I'm going to give the deltron a try. It looks great on his bike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Galaxie,

I'm going to try and make Flyrite's event. Not sure though. If I can get out of my comitment, I will be there. If not lets meet up sometime for a beer. Later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts