Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, finally have my 68/71 monster going and everything seems smooth except for one odd issue.

I adjusted clutch per specs and its smooth except for neutral into first. It just doesn't want to go, grind noises and resistance.. However I just bypass this by going from neutral to 2nd then into first which is smooth as all hell.

every other gear is shifting fine up and down except for neutral into first. whats going on here?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure if you have tried it but you need to 'free' the clutch before kicking over, otherwise it will always be a crunch into first gear. To do this you need to hold the clutch in and kick through 3 or 4 times, before turning on the ignition and kicking the bike into life. Give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea the clutch is freed up and seems to function ok besides the movement from N to first which is why this is weird to me. Maybe something wobbly or warped I'll pop the primary and check it out

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...hello,
move the bike few centimeters then try to engage the first, if not easier do that again
will be easier.
The problem is in the tension of the cable and in the rear chain
also a bit of wear in the 2 rods of the selector (inside the gbox)

·
Registered
375 Posts
What kinda fluid is in there? I had some crappy gear oil that would do the same. Swapped it out for some stuff geared for straight cut gears (pun intended) and first gear is smooth as silk.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running whatever gear oil the local napa had. It was pretty pricey for a relatively small bottle. I can get it into first now but the bike will stall if I fully let off the clutch lever. So it's definitely a clutch issue. It's free and it functions but I definitely need to adjust it or something. As I said the rod and cable are to specs. But specs aren't quite working here.

In other news. How the hell do you guys drive these damn bikes with a joe hunt mag? It couldn't be any more inconvenient with the shifter right under that damn thing? I was thinking jockey shifter. But that would require letting go of the throttle and forward controls would require new exhausts. Man there's no room on this thing

·
Registered
498 Posts
Have you adjusted the 3 springs on the pressure plate,to get it running true when the clutch is dis-engaged.
If it's running within 0.015" runout each time you dis-engage the clutch,this shouldn't be happening.Don't just check it once;kick it over and check it a few times and also with the engine running.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
specs call for a half turn out on the pressure plate/pushrod adjustment screw. quarter turn out works best. also, i agree with waiting a second or two after pulling clutch in to shift into first. this lets the clutch slow down a little. if youre used to modern bikes with really refined gearboxes, remember to be a lot more deliberate with shifting an old bike. shift firmly, fully and quickly. modern gearboxes shift with just the tiniest suggestion of a shift.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright here's an update. I played around with it tonight after work. The clutch will free up with a couple kicks while engaging the clutch, however after I put it back in gear it locks right up again and won't disengage. The gear oil i'm using is 80w-90w. The bike can still be ridden but it takes some skill because you can never fully release the damn lever or you stall.

I'm thinking it's wound too tight or maybe a pushrod issue, didn't want to take the primary off because I just regasketed the whole damn engine but that's no longer an option as conventional tricks aren't working here

·
Banned
980 Posts
Ahh, investigate on the gearbox side first, it could be a number of issues like cable nipple not locating properly or the actuating plate where the 3 ball bearings are.
I couldn't find neutral once and it was a broken spring behind the lever, dont think its that though. Take out the main rod and roll it along a flat surface and grease or oil it. Some blokes cut the rod in half and have a ball bearing between the 2 halves.
Is there a clicking sound when you pull the clutch coming from g/box side? Spose you would've told us that eh. 3 other things to look at before primary comes off at least.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plate gunk galore. Cleaned what I could. New primary lube and she unstuck. Dropped into first like an old Harley though. Sort of felt at home with that whomp! Anyway. She's a little beast. So much so that my one rear drum certainly is not stopping me. Evident as I ended up in the middle of a four way intersection while flintstoning it with the right foot too

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...good that you finally found the problem but I think that several here that put a possible solution was thinking that those things were just checked for sure.
Because without a protocol is very difficult to locate a problem and find a decent solution

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.