Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've searched the forum and didn't find anything concerning this particular issue, but I may have missed it.
I have a '72 T100R, dual carb setup. Just installed a new throttle and cable (2 into 1 cable). I've read that there should be about 1/8" of "play" in the cable, from the throttle fully closed to where it actually begins to move the slides in the carbs. Is this correct?
The problem I'm having is that as I rotate through that 1/8" of play, the engine wants to cut off. As I go past it, the engine recovers fine. Adjusted the carbs and it seems to be idling fine, and take off is fine, and not noticing any issues as I go through the gears. Makes thing kind of weird as you're taking off, as the engine just about cuts out, but then recovers fine as I said. Can anyone offer any insight as to what might be going on? Hopefully I've provided enough info....

·
Registered
150 Posts
The hot cams in these engines make idle and just off idle always a little hit and miss.Idle speed to slow?,pilot jet adjustment,are you running choke slides and if not is the old cable hole plugged up but if you are are they adjusted right?.Are the carbs balanced?.Could also be a manifold leak,exhaust or inlet epsecially if getting a backfire from the overun.Timing could be slightly too advanced.
Best thing i did to my t100r was to fit an adventurer(tr5t) manifold and run a 28mm single carb.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Single 28mm carb is a great idea! Bike will idle better, run better and be much more rider-friendly.

To answer your questions: Yes, you want play in the throttle cable. That is, when you turn the throttle just a bit, the slides should not lift. Regarding the off-idle hesitation, you don't by any chance have a quick-turn throttle on there do you? You can't snap the throttle open on the 500s like you can with some other bikes. A single carb would probably improve that issue.

An exactly-by-the-manual tune-up is also a must.
If you do stick with two carbs, make sure that both slides are lifting simultaneously.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies....
Idle is good now, after adjusting the pilot air and throttle stop screws. Before doing that, it would run for a minute or so then just cut off. Also took the time to balance the carbs, ensuring that they both lift at the same time. There's no choke on the bike, and the old cable holes on the carb top are plugged (with a screw).
A manifold or other leak wouldn't surprise me.... could definitely use some new gaskets/seals everywhere. Not getting any backfire, yet, but haven't really rode it hard yet either.
I don't think I have a quick-turn throttle, it's one of these:

Will follow the advice on tune-up, and replace as many gaskets/seals as possible during the next couple of (cold) months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.