Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was posting this to see if anybody else has used Synthetic oil in their bike's or car's, and have been using oil, up to two or more quarts with in 3000 miles.
One of my friends went to sturgis with me he uses only Amsoil 20w50 in his 1997 Heritage it has 45,000 miles on it,he changed it the night before we left,when we stopped for the night in Mitchell SD. he checked his oil it was almost a half a quart low,by the time we got to Rapid city he used about another half a quart,round trip about 2500 miles he used almost 3 quarts of oil.
He told me he is use to it,he told me this is pretty much normal for his bike to do this,I told him it's not normal,so we did a cylinder leak down test,and a compression test,and just looked at everything,nothing out spec.
It got me thinking,My wifes van I use nothing but Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil in her van a 2009 dodge caravan and I was going through about 2.5 to 3 quarts of oil in 3000 miles I started using synthetic oil after 9000 so the last 5 oil changes were with synthetic oil.
I went and put 5w20 non synthetic oil in it my wife put almost 2700 miles on it and it has not used a drop.
We also put regular harley 20w50 in my friends bike he told me today he put 1900 miles on his bike and has not added any oil to it???
I had a few people tell me the same story about using oil when they run Synthetic.
Has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Wow that seems like alot of usage on the synthetic oil. Any way I have used the royal purple brand in the last 2 Harley's I have owned the 2000 FLHT had 100,000 miles when I sold it and was using no oil between changes. The 2010 FLTRX has 22,000 on it and I am still using the same 20/50 royal purple brand and use none between changes. I do change the oil and filter every 2,500 to 3,000 miles no matter where in the country I am. I also change the transmisson and the primary every other time I do the engine oil. May sound like alot but oil is way cheaper than a rebuild.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use Lucas 20-50 synthetic in my 2002 FLHTPI. It has 65,000 on it and when it is time to change oil it is never more than 1/2 quart low. I have never used synthetic in my old bikes and they don't get ridden enough to use oil, I change it once per year in all of them whether they need it or not. They probably leak {or seep} more than they burn.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
This is how I see it with synthetic oil...if an engine is low mileage and doesn't leak, synthetic won't make it leak or burn oil, but if it is getting slightly long in the tooth or leaks a bit, it will consume more oil or leak more with synthetic. I have used synthetic in some of my bikes with no changes in oil consumption while on some of the older ones it does increase to some degree. Frankly, the older machines were built to run on dinosaur oil so I just change it more often. I do use synthetic in my transmissions though, I don't know if it's just me, but they seem to shift smoother with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ran my DD on dino oil for the first 3k miles then switched to Amsoil with no consumption between changes. I now have 90k miles on the vehicle. I have also been running mobil1 in one of my BMW motorcycles since 8k miles and have not had any consumption between changes. That now has 22k on it. I run dino oil in all my other vehicles because they are older and have higher mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts