Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My forward controls are sloppy (shifter and linkage have a lot of play) and the rubber is cracked and some has fallen off. They're old. I'm thinking of swapping from forwards to mids/highway pegs. I'm sure a few have done this before me. I'd appreciate it if yall can give me some insight/experiences to help me make my decision.

Also, if I do go with mids, I'd prefer to buy them new. I've done some looking and I can find forwards everywhere; but mids for an '84 FXSB seem a little harder to find. Point me in the right direction.

·
Administrator
7,824 Posts
My forward controls are sloppy (shifter and linkage have a lot of play) and the rubber is cracked and some has fallen off. They're old. I'm thinking of swapping from forwards to mids/highway pegs. I'm sure a few have done this before me. I'd appreciate it if yall can give me some insight/experiences to help me make my decision. Also, if I do go with mids, I'd prefer to buy them new. I've done some looking and I can find forwards everywhere; but mids for an '84 FXSB seem a little harder to find. Point me in the right direction.
Your '84 FXSB would have come from the factory with mids so I'm sure your primary is setup for the mids? I don't know of anyone making these aftermarket, but you're better off with oem parts anyway. They are around and if you have a parts book it will help to locate everything you need. They do come up for sale every now and then, plus you might want to check with a good HD dealer, some of those parts might still be available from the dealer. I own an '84 FXE and love the factory mids.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your '84 FXSB would have come from the factory with mids so I'm sure your primary is setup for the mids? I don't know of anyone making these aftermarket, but you're better off with oem parts anyway. They are around and if you have a parts book it will help to locate everything you need. They do come up for sale every now and then, plus you might want to check with a good HD dealer, some of those parts might still be available from the dealer. I own an '84 FXE and love the factory mids.
Yah, you're right. My bike did have mids from the factory. I haven't opened the primary myself since having the bike, though. Just the inspection cover, and there isn't a bar in there for connecting the shifter through primary. But I assume it is set up for the mids to bolt on. My next thought was ask my local Indy that's been in business since '79 if they have a source for the mids and parts needed. I'll also look up the HD part numbers. I appreciate the info/input. It's exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am currently thinking about putting mids on my 79 fxwg too. Another option is to use floorboards. you will need the correct outer primary cover for floorboards though, the one with the mount tab on the front of it. with the floorboards, you might be able to keep the forward controls, but have a more comfy place to rest your feet, just remove the pegs mounted on the forwards. A few new heim joints and maybe a bushing or two could have your sloppy forwards working like new again. You can also just mount the mid brackets on your bike with the foot pegs, but not move the linkage back to mids. then you have the forward controls for shifting and stopping, but have the added set of pegs in the factory location so you can switch up your foot position on longer rides.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Forward controls suck. There is a reason you never see any kind of race bike with forward controls. Mid and rear sets will give you so much more bike control. Also, it will get the weight off your tail bone and spine, thus increasing comfort. Forward controls for comfort is the biggest myth out there.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I've done a mile or 3 and find FWD controls a WHOLE lot more comfortable over LONG distances. Best set up was on a FXDX where I had FWDs, keep the mid pegs and passenger pegs. 3 locations to rest your feet which is great over 3 days of 14 hr riding. Race bikes dont have them because they arent areodymanic. But HDs arent race bikes generally....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got an 84 FXSB with factory mids, wouldn't trade them for the world, they give you something forwards never will- BALANCE AND CONTROL. To switch back you can find the parts on eBay pretty often, if your in a rush give Rob a shout: http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/main.php if he doesn't have them he can send you in the right direction.

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I've done a mile or 3 and find FWD controls a WHOLE lot more comfortable over LONG distances. Best set up was on a FXDX where I had FWDs, keep the mid pegs and passenger pegs. 3 locations to rest your feet which is great over 3 days of 14 hr riding. Race bikes dont have them because they arent areodymanic. But HDs arent race bikes generally....
The long haul solution(see above!!).....and a cheap set of highway pegs with mid controls, and pass pegs, works too.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yah, you're right. My bike did have mids from the factory. I haven't opened the primary myself since having the bike, though. Just the inspection cover, and there isn't a bar in there for connecting the shifter through primary. But I assume it is set up for the mids to bolt on. My next thought was ask my local Indy that's been in business since '79 if they have a source for the mids and parts needed. I'll also look up the HD part numbers. I appreciate the info/input. It's exactly what I was looking for.
If you open the inspection cover, which originally had a hole for the shifter to go through, and a place to bolt the footpeg, you can look through, into the inner primary, and see the hole(plugged if it is a wet primary) that the shifter goes through. If you don't have the correct inner primary, you will have to get one, to run the shifter shaft through. Plus the inspection cover, if yours has no holes. To install the shifter shaft, you will have to remove the inner primary. So it is not a everyday conversion. But not hard, if you have the tools and experience to remove the clutch, sprocket and chain and the inner primary. Don't forget to inspect the bushings and seals in the inner primary and the inspection cover, or you will be leaking oil and have to do it over.

·
Administrator
7,824 Posts
Absolutely Hatch. Another solution for sure. I have never had control issues with fwds, I guess its what you grow up with.
Forwards aren't bad if you're tall. I'm short and have a bike that has mids. They are the ticket, more control and balance, plus like mentioned, with highway pegs and passenger pegs, I'm covered for stretching out or back. I have another bike that has forwards and the position is fine, but not for any length of time, and not as comfortable as the mids.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm 6'5 and had to run forwards on the pan they look like mids when i'm on the bike but they keep my knees outta my chin, used to run the mids highway peg set up on an fx years ago and liked it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got an 84 FXSB with factory mids, wouldn't trade them for the world, they give you something forwards never will- BALANCE AND CONTROL. To switch back you can find the parts on eBay pretty often, if your in a rush give Rob a shout: http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/main.php if he doesn't have them he can send you in the right direction.
Thanks bro! I appreciate the hook up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I definitely agree that forwards are more comfortable for long distance riding. But I also agree that mids give more control and balance especially during more aggressive riding situations (twisties, traffic, etc.). I've always run forwards on my bikes up to this point. I usually find myself putting my feet on top of the primary and cone in traffic though. So my thought is might as well go with mids / highway pegs if I'm gonna buy some new ones. Also, as mentioned above by someone else, I'm also not a tall guy (5'8") so forwards do stretch me out.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been trying to hunt down the parts to switch from my sloppy forwards to the factory mids on my '85 fxsb, and it has been really hard. Granted, the 85 is the first year evo and they only made it for a year (or maybe even only half the year depending on who you ask and who actually cares). When I opened my primary to have a look to see how it was plugged, it turns out that the PO just cut the shaft off right in the middle and left it in there. so I have a truncated part that I can get a machinist to replicate for me...but there was no easy solution in the aftermarket that I could find anywhere. Getting the controls for the right side was easy though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm in the same problem with a '83 fxr, very hard to locate those parts. I still need a couple. I'm 5' 9" and I could barely reach the forwards, was on the balls of my feet and had the air cleaner hard against the inside of my right knee. Most uncomfortable thing I've ever ridden. Also hunched my back. I was told once that it was that particular style, that there were better ones but I didn't pursue it. I rode the triumph way more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.