Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some call it brat style, or just anything that lowers the seat an inch or so. Keeping a similar to stock fender. I see it done on swingarm big twins but not really any XLs. Trying to get an idea of what I wanna do with my complete '74 XL, minus 1 frame....talk about keeping an asshole in suspense. Really trying to keep the tins matching because they are cool old and in really good shape+ I've got midget legs and need good footing AND ground clearance. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmmm... how attached are you to the original oil bag and battery?

I haven't seen any Ironheads with a dropped seat (except for hardtail conversions, which doesn't sound like where you want to go). I don't think that those are a radically different shape than my '01, and the oil bag comes up to right underneath the frame on the right side of the bike. Looking at pics of '74s, it seems the earlier bike is similar.

But the real problem looks to be the rear cylinder head. It's going to limit where you can drop the frame at. Looks to be easier to do if you stretched the frame a bit - otherwise there'd be a step in the frame right below where 'Jim and the twins' reside on the seat. I could imagine that discomfort could be an issue upon deceleration...

No answers, but at least BTTT for ya'.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If your only lowering an inch I think it may be possible cutting out the horseshoe the seat sets on and attaching to below the top frame tube instead if into the end of it, You would also have to shorten the 2 tubes coming up from the swingarm pivot, but it really doesnt sound like to big of a deal. I did see an ironhead at a show last year with what your talkin about, didnt get any pics though. Lookin at my 74 is doesnt look to hard to do.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If your only lowering an inch I think it may be possible cutting out the horseshoe the seat sets on and attaching to below the top frame tube instead if into the end of it, You would also have to shorten the 2 tubes coming up from the swingarm pivot, but it really doesnt sound like to big of a deal. I did see an ironhead at a show last year with what your talkin about, didnt get any pics though. Lookin at my 74 is doesnt look to hard to do.
Ah, the advantages of having the actual bike to look at!

:D

-Bill

·
Registered
317 Posts
It does make it easier, especially when its half apart like mine is now....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.