Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my favorite bikes are Swingarm FLH shovelheads, but seams everytime I get ahold of a shovel its a fx. A past picture thread had many pics of the FLHs and very few FXs. Anyhow it seams that everybody that gets a fx 4 speed framed shovel always cuts them up and hard tails them. Im picking up a 77 superglide next weekend and have a 82 fxb currently that I have pulled alot of inspiration from the Japan scene thread. The FXB will go more custom that clean stocker. Looking for some inspiration for the Superglide, I am going to leave it more stocker similar to tattoos thread but with some mild custom touches like lowering, pipes, and bars. Just clean low and shiny. Anyhow these are pics of a bike I found searching. Having a hard time finiding anymore pics. Anybody have more pics of bikes along these lines

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
'77 Lowriders have to be some of the baddest machines on the planet. Definitely one of my favorites. I'm in the process of putting together a 1981 Wide Glide. Motor and trans in frame and will have a roller soon. Loves me some Shovels.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
this is my 72 "midnight express" with the boat tail.
Slight sidetrack.

Why is it that stuff people didn't like when it was new regains popularity once it's old (maybe the huge '70s FLH seats are the exception)? I always wonder if I would have gotten weepy eyed over an XR1000 or XLCR when they were introduced.

Beautiful restoration, by the way. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm criticizing Trond's shovel.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Slight sidetrack.

Why is it that stuff people didn't like when it was new regains popularity once it's old (maybe the huge '70s FLH seats are the exception)? I always wonder if I would have gotten weepy eyed over an XR1000 or XLCR when they were introduced.

Beautiful restoration, by the way. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm criticizing Trond's shovel.
Maybe because since they wasn't popular then makes them rare now.

Dawg

·
Banned
172 Posts
first two pics posted by the OP are either an FL or the bike has an FL swingarm, and progressive 11 inch shocks third pic is an FX

The actual FX low rider model had the lower shock bolts through the middle of the swingarm, while the FL style has mount blocks welded to the top of the swingarm

·
Banned
172 Posts
well, after 84, the FL models had a completely different swingarm design then the FX (now called the dyna) lineup.

I made the mistake once, of installing an FX low rider swingarm on a FL, and used the shorter shocks as well. It looked really cool. Until my first hard left turn, and my primary dug into the asphalt. I still do not know how I did not end up on the ground

·
Registered
732 Posts
ohh.. nice bikes!

i have never seen a stock bike like these in real life.. been riding since -97..
not a very long time but i sure hope i get to se one!

please share more guys :)

cheers

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah, back in 83 I loved the XR 1000 when it came out. But it was like a thousand bucks more than a new Sporty. And I couldn't afford even that!
+1
Back then I wanted that XLX for $3995, but it was way out of reach.
I was able to pick up a wrecked '75 XLH for $1000, put couple hundred into it and flip it for $2500.
That and I borrowed 1500 from my mom to get my '77 FXE for $3500.
I thought I was the King o the World ! I was 23, 8'17" and bullet-proof.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.