Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys again i am looking for some answers. I am rebuilding my 74 iron head
the 81 has brand new gears and I know the last time i checked my 74 trans the gears looked worn out. will this 81 trans and trap door just slide in, and blot down. I've never rebuilt a trans so i would like to just swap it out. is this doable?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
No, some of the gears are the same, some arnt and the trap door is diferent.

Look up the part numbers

....Roach.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
couldn't i just put all my 81 gears on my 74 transmission and it just be different gear ratios? shouldn't that work?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Make sure by cheaking the part numbers, dont asume......

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only difference in the transmissions that I could find by looking at part numbers is the clutch gear. so I would just use my 1974 clutch gear and trap door and I should be good using the whole 81 tranny, minus clutch gear and trap door?? Does that seem right? am i Missing something? has anyone done this?

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
All the doors from 57 to 83 are the same dimensions..77 and up have a cut-out for the left side shift shaft...(NO BIGGIE on it being along for the ride)
If you lay them side by side the later door will have much more meat around the counter shaft bearing, in turn making them Heavy Duty compared to the early doors.

Clutch gear was made diff. in late 79....(Longer)

You should be able to reuse yours with the later trans with no problems with all the rest of the later components fitting up...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also I noticed by looking at part numbers the clutch gear from 71-79 (oem 37448-67)has a .232 thick washer.
AND
The Clutch gear from 79-84 (oem 37448-79) has a .212 thick washer.
this is the only diff. I could find?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the doors from 57 to 83 are the same dimensions..77 and up have a cut-out for the left side shift shaft...(NO BIGGIE on it being along for the ride)
If you lay them side by side the later door will have much more meat around the counter shaft bearing, in turn making them Heavy Duty compared to the early doors.

Clutch gear was made diff. in late 79....(Longer)

You should be able to reuse yours with the later trans with no problems with all the rest of the later components fitting up...
so should i put my trap door(74) on the new transmission gears (81) ??
and it seems like I should use the clutch gear from 74 with the 81 gears?/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts