Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody.
I am trying to build a OHV Super X Excelsior racer. Being from Denmark, which is completely flat, a hill climber did´nt really take my fancy. So I´m going down the well tried road of board tracking..
Things are moving ahead nicely, took a completely rotten frame apart and changed around 2/3 of the tubes. Re-jigged and re-brazed the lot with silver, so now it´s straight and strong.
21" wheels (70´ies Bultaco) are on their way, lots of necessary spares found. Internals right now leans towards Sportster, though I had 741 Indian rods mated with the original X fly-wheels,- but I don´t know..

I have been trusted with an original KOSLOW racing head on loan for measuring, to make new patterns for my castings. To the best of my knowledge, Koslow continued after Schwinn closed down his motorcycle endeavours , adapting the OHV-patterns for midget racing. So with this head and some measurements from Matt of "Wheels through Time" museum, from their collection of original Climbers, I´ve managed to reconstruct the OHV head in the computer. Found a head stock badge from a later Schwinn cycle, hence the poetic name: "American Beauty".
Update will be erratic, as there´s a lot of "how to solve.." so bear with me.

Mads

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
holy shit! I love that bike!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
mads, you guys simply amaze me, with a few exceptions, if we cant find a part, we piss and mone, if you guys cant find it, ya simply make it, lol, wow.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi again Everybody.
Yeah, I know the Landstrom Foundry site,- Lyle and I have actually mailed quite a bit over the years. Rocky of Iron Wigwam (and Dreamcatcher LSR) fame was the one that entrusted me with the Koslow head (A LOT of people had to vouch for me, as this is one the holy grails of American racing history) . He has so many fantastic and time consuming Indian projects, that I think he down prioritized the Koslow over the years. A day only has 24 hours.. So no "ready made" Excelsior factory race parts from the Iron Wigwam, I´m sorry to say.

Here´s a couple of shots of my X-frame. What a puzzle..

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
I still have not found a way to get an extra hour from each day and my streamliner will be ready for BUB 2010 with an Indian uprising. As it stands now, I need to whip up a set of factory Daytona scout heads and still stir the War Path cases for a double, I feel confident I made the right choice to let Mads take some weight off my shoulders and on with Koslo heads, if I get bored I still have the Indian EXP2 engine to play with.
For those who ask about their history, they are from a dry lakes chout my father and Clem Murdaugh played with
Rocky
1957 S/VG
1959 M/BG

1 - 20 of 425 Posts