Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep, I know I'm a little early and I said I'd cut the pictures off around 1975. But I scanned these (along with the one's I posted in the Friday Art thread) to send to a friend of mine that went to Sturgis with us in 1978 and I figured I'd post 'em here too.
There were around 20,000 there in 78.
Larry T

·
Registered
726 Posts
Larry T said:
Yep, I know I'm a little early and I said I'd cut the pictures off around 1975. But I scanned these (along with the one's I posted in the Friday Art thread) to send to a friend of mine that went to Sturgis with us in 1978 and I figured I'd post 'em here too.
There were around 20,000 there in 78.
Larry T
Remember it well, it was my fifth year at Sturgis. Nice small crowd, no fuckin YUPPIES, just Brothers. Thanks for the Memories!!!!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Trent,
No 30.00 a night campgrounds. They allowed camping in the city park, for around 5.00 a night (I think) or you could ride out and find a state campsite for free.
Kinda hung out at the park, every once in a while they'd stop traffic on the 4 lane beside the park and run a few street races. There were tattoo and food vendors set up there too. No 70.00 wardrobe malfunction fines either.

Panman,
I never went back after 78, too many people in one place for this old country boy. (G)

I guess I'll edit this, I have been back thru Sturgis since 78, just not for Bike Week.
Larry T

·
Registered
119 Posts
What a difference 30 years makes. If you want to get away from the crowds now, you either have to be there a week and a half early (the vendors will already be set up by then) or you have to hit one of the other towns in the hills that are starting to follow suit and close down their main streets for bikes only. Crazy how widespread and long the rally is getting...

Ya think the Gypsies would have expected this when they started it all??

·
Registered
726 Posts
sentinelT said:
What a difference 30 years makes. If you want to get away from the crowds now, you either have to be there a week and a half early (the vendors will already be set up by then) or you have to hit one of the other towns in the hills that are starting to follow suit and close down their main streets for bikes only. Crazy how widespread and long the rally is getting...

Ya think the Gypsies would have expected this when they started it all??
Not really, who'da thunk all the Doctors and Lawyers would like to dress-up and play Billy Badass.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
sentinal and I grew up out here and have seen the changes. We can bitch about the yuppies but shootings at Gunners and stabbings galore are a rarity these days. To remember the good we have to remember the bad.......

Thanks for the pics!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts