Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for all you jockey shiftin' suicide clutch rockin' riders. Do you guys have a detent on your suicide clutches or do you rock it without? I mean, it does make things easier, and when you are already doing the jockey shift/suicide clutch no one will think you're any less cool for having it, haha. So my next question is, if you do, did you fab it up yourself? And could I see pictures of the detent? Also, how well do they work? Are there any worries of it disengaging causing the clutch to slip? Let me know, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah, a Stomper foot clutch is for the suicide, Not with the rocker one...

Same if ya put on a front break, not a suicide any more.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No need for anything like that with a rocker clutch, theyre two different animals. On my suicide clutch I welded a piece of pipe small pipe (nipple) that I got at a hardware store to the 1/2 inch nut that holds the pedal in place. This lets me rest my heel on it so I wont have to use my whole leg to engage the clutches. Using your leg makes it hard to feather it. This set up dont look bad and its cheap and easy. And best of all it works great. And I really dont care if people think Im cool or not so Im not too worried.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, thanks for letting me know that. I never knew the difference between a rocker and suicide clutch. I like your idea too flchingon. I was considering doing the jockey shift with clutch lever installed on it too. I really like the look of those, and then I get to be lazy and not have to think about making sure to put my right foot down haha.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Folks,

Rocker clutches were first called "suicide clutches" when the hand-clutch hit the American production market. It obviously promoted sales of machines with the new controls.

Chopper era folks then came to apply it to the automotive pedal design.

....Cotten

·
Registered
734 Posts
Technically a suicide shifter is a spring loaded clutch,hand shifter with no front brake. 'Frisco thing I believe.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Around here it used to be that a suicide clutch was a foot clutch with no detent like a rocker. It had to do with the clutch, not the whole bike setup. It was usually used with a jockey shift (shifter mounted on early tranny top) or a slapper (shifter mounted on a ratchet top).
I know things constantly change. This doesn't mean I like it, look at my sig.
Larry T

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Do you not use your foot to actuate a rocker clutch or a pedal clutch?

Do you not use your hand to shift with a jockey, tank, police, etc. shifter?

I ride a sprung pedal clutch (stock style forward to cable on a ratchet lid Baker 4 speed with Primo Pro clutch), with a lid mounted shifter. I also have front brakes on my bike. At no point do I say suicide clutch for the very purpose that it is issuing a name that will surely cause an argument over semantics. I call it a foot clutch because I use my foot...it's very simple.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Do you not use your foot to actuate a rocker clutch or a pedal clutch?

Do you not use your hand to shift with a jockey, tank, police, etc. shifter?

I ride a sprung pedal clutch (stock style forward to cable on a ratchet lid Baker 4 speed with Primo Pro clutch), with a lid mounted shifter. I also have front brakes on my bike. At no point do I say suicide clutch for the very purpose that it is issuing a name that will surely cause an argument over semantics. I call it a foot clutch because I use my foot...it's very simple.
Your absolutely right, I lost my mind for a second and misread your post. Sorry about that. Your right, foot clutch covers them all.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Your absolutely right, I lost my mind for a second and misread your post. Sorry about that. Your right, foot clutch covers them all.
No worries man...I've done that plenty. I also don't use the terms bobber, chopper, etc. unless it is blatantly obvious that it follows the traditional formula. I just prefer to call them motorcycles/bikes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If you way to be really cool (I mean fucking loser) put a hand control clutch lever on the gear selector arm. Haha just had to get that out there total off topic but that's what all the cool kids do here in town.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
For the clear pic, Have your Bike set up with a Stomper clutch, Jockey shift, no front break.

Riding up a hill to a four way stop, what do you do?

Put the bike in N and one foot on the rear break, one on the ground.

Now on the hill at the stop, how do you get going?

Most guys would keep it in gear and hope not to burn up the clutch.

Or you wait for a car to come up behind you and you roll back on their bumper so you can put it in gear on go.

Or how it became known as the Suicide, was just simply run the stop sign!! Hope ya didn't get T boned!!:eek:

So if you put a front break on the bike it is no longer a suicide.

Same for a rocker clutch.

Why you ask, cause now you can put both feet down for the stop and can shift without rolling backwards.

History lesson over from the streets of SanFran Cisco!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.