Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the story goes that i got this springer for a song and a dance. I found a counte's customs take-off sugar bear springer. i bought it for the fact of wanting to blueprint a sugar bear springer (the last springer i needed to blueprint for my important springer blueprint collection). I bought it blueprinted it and sold it. a few weeks later the guy asked if i could buy it back as he lost his job. no problem to me. I then decided i would put it on a bike. it went on a 95 883 sporty that needs to be chopped. So here is the beginning stages of a sporty frame built to an existing frontend. I was not sure of what rake or up and out this frontend was built for so i had to mount a wheel and set the rocker bolts to 10-15 degrees off horizontal to get the stretches and rake set. i used a stock sporty wheel/tire(19 rim with a 100/90/19) rather than a 21 like sugar bear calls for. all that did was bring the overall up stretch down by 3/4". So right now the bike sets at 43-44 degrees rake and the top of the bottom tree is 36 3/8" off the ground. that is a 4 up off of softail standards. its about an 8 to 8.25 up on the sporty. I still need to figure out the out and the rear stretches. i think i am doing a 4" rear stretch and a 2 out front stretch. once all of that is figured out i will cut the frame for the hardtail and then do the backbone and upper wishbones to make a nice straight line to the axle blocks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bullshit I have gen shovel rigid and good luck to you. A sporty done right is way cool, any bike done wrong looks wrong, no matter what it is. I hate people who prejudge, silk purse sows ear and all that. PS Zeeman adjust that chain !!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Ha! Yeah , that is the legendary SUGAR BEAR, master of the long springer..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Krymis can't make a cool bike out of this. Just that in my opinion, it's such a cool lookin' springer, it deserves something better.. I'm sure Krymis is aware of how Sugar Bear sets up the geometry of his bikes, and will be interested to follow this build.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha! Yeah , that is the legendary SUGAR BEAR, master of the long springer..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Krymis can't make a cool bike out of this. Just that in my opinion, it's such a cool lookin' springer, it deserves something better.. I'm sure Krymis is aware of how Sugar Bear sets up the geometry of his bikes, and will be interested to follow this build.
zeeman,

thank you for the compliment on the geometry aspect. that is one of my pride and joys is to build frames and frontends. Its always so much harder to build a frame to a frontend rather than a frontend to a frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts