Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took the lazy route out and cut the wires running to the speedo and tach while swapping risers... now the generator light won't go off, adn no turn signals and no brake light (running light still works). i don't think (and i'm an ass) that taking the headlight bezel off and disconnecting the wires would fix this problem.... any much smarter dudes than me got some help, or love? woulda disconnected the wires but apartment duties took over my extra free time... i suck... haha

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
do you still have all the parts you cutoff? you could place it back together again and then figure out what is supposed to be connected to what. and then re-route.

its not too complicated but it is good to have a working example to work from.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's just the wires from the tach and speedo... a ground and hot wire ( i assume as there were two wires, red and white if my memory serves....) just don't make sense to me that now i wouldn't have a brake light and the generator indicator is flashing like a mad man....

·
Registered
119 Posts
if you disconnected the battery during this process youll have to take a wire and quickly jumper the pos side of the battery and the A terminal on the generator to make it charge properly. youll get a little spark.
not sure if it matters but i do this with the key off, start the bike and see if the light goes away.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
it's just the wires from the tach and speedo... a ground and hot wire ( i assume as there were two wires, red and white if my memory serves....) just don't make sense to me that now i wouldn't have a brake light and the generator indicator is flashing like a mad man....
Reinstall the speedo and tach, even if just hanging by some tape and hook the wires back up. See if everything works. If not, it may be time to learn to wire your bike, from scratch. If it does fix the problem, then you can see if you can figure out how to remove the speedo and tach, and keep everything working. Wiring can be a real bear, if you don't have a clue. Wiring diaghrams everywhere for sportsters, from stock to minimal. Believe me, if you are going to ride a sportster, you better get to know it as good as you know your right hand, or it will bite you on the ass, when you least expect it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts