Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been thinking of rear fender options for my 77 flh sa bike and i'm leaning towards using a reversed front dresser fender. to unclutter the ass end i'd like to either figure out some hidden struts or braces or find/make a pair of those old curved flat steel external struts that were popular in the 80s. i'm using a corbin mustang seat to carry a passenger so the fender will need to be fixed to the frame and pretty stout. any ideas ?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a real clean look but my bike is a swing arm frame, not a softtail so the engineering will be different. thanks anyway though. nice bike :)

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
lilbill said:
that's a real clean look but my bike is a swing arm frame, not a softtail so the engineering will be different. thanks anyway though. nice bike :)
I know your's a swingarm, just wanted to give you an idea how color- matched "old curved steel struts" would look since you mentioned those in your first post...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Bill,
I used internal struts on a couple of HD swingarm frames. I "bobbed" ...sorry can't call it that anymore...let's just say I cut it :)...the stock rear fender to an eye pleasing shape. I made up some struts out of 1/4" steel and welded them to the inside of the fender. The front of the fender bolted to the stock location. I did some other cosmetic work such as molding the stock taillight into the fender, adding some sheet metal in the front to cover the gaps between the frame, filling the stock holes.

Where are you at in Arkansas? I grew up there.
Hank

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Danny F. said:
I know your's a swingarm, just wanted to give you an idea how color- matched "old curved steel struts" would look since you mentioned those in your first post...
Ah sooo.... gotcha. At first clance I thought those were common aftermarket softail fender supports painted to match. Now I see that they're actually made from plate.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apehanger Hank said:
Bill,
I used internal struts on a couple of HD swingarm frames. I "bobbed" ...sorry can't call it that anymore...let's just say I cut it :)...the stock rear fender to an eye pleasing shape. I made up some struts out of 1/4" steel and welded them to the inside of the fender. The front of the fender bolted to the stock location. I did some other cosmetic work such as molding the stock taillight into the fender, adding some sheet metal in the front to cover the gaps between the frame, filling the stock holes.

Where are you at in Arkansas? I grew up there.
Hank
I kinda considered putting some mount plates inside the fender but I wasn't sure that 1/4" would be thick enough for carrying a passenger and anything thicker might rub the tire ?
BTW, I'm in Hot Springs, where did you live and why the hell would anyone leave Arkansas ? Aside from there being no money here it's a GREAT place to live. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Army is the reason I left. I grew up in Harrison, just a bit north of you on highway 7. I am planning to retire in October 06 and have some property near Harrison and some more in Hardy. Don't know where I'll end up. LOL!

Hank

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
im bringing this one back from the dead. im expecting my new fender from scrapmetalart craig in the near future & im looking for ideas to go strutless this time 'round. can any of you guys show me some pics or give me some ideas for mounting my rear fender without struts?

craig - is the fender strong enough to be mounted without internal support or struts? my bike gets ridden a lot, its a hardtail & it vibrates like a mofo.

how are you guys mounting rear fenders to the cross pieces on hardtails? i was using some stout pipe hangers for a while & they held up well but i was a little iffy on the looks. (lookin' a little too "rat rod" for me)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
scraper said:
im bringing this one back from the dead. im expecting my new fender from scrapmetalart craig in the near future & im looking for ideas to go strutless this time 'round. can any of you guys show me some pics or give me some ideas for mounting my rear fender without struts?

craig - is the fender strong enough to be mounted without internal support or struts? my bike gets ridden a lot, its a hardtail & it vibrates like a mofo.

how are you guys mounting rear fenders to the cross pieces on hardtails? i was using some stout pipe hangers for a while & they held up well but i was a little iffy on the looks. (lookin' a little too "rat rod" for me)
Craig's fenders are think. You can mount them with out struts no doubt, are you riding a passenger on it? If so I would run some internal strut. If not you can do anything with it. I should have mine mounted up in a few weeks, I will post pictures of course, I am not sure how quick you need the info but the pictures will explain it much better than I can typing it. I am basically making tabs off the cross bar of the frame and the fender tab off the back of the trans with matching tabs on the fender and drilling through both and bolting it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts