Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i'm finally getting around to stripping the paint from my BSA motor. i don't want to disassemble the motor so i was wondering whats the best (and cheapest) way to go about this

·
Registered
125 Posts
Paint stripper. I just had to strip the bottom of a ironhead motor of some nasty ass black paint and i used goof off, worked pretty well, industrial paint stripper will work better im sure.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's more a matter of how long you leave it on. If you rinse it off after the paint comes loose, it'll nuetralize and be harmless. Big thing is to make sure water (and acid) can't get in anywhere.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's more a matter of how long you leave it on. If you rinse it off after the paint comes loose, it'll nuetralize and be harmless. Big thing is to make sure water (and acid) can't get in anywhere.
ok, so as long as i plug the carb it shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why are you stripping it? Is the paint flaking? Stripping is a messy and not needed unless the paint is bad. If you need stripper to remove it, I'd say it sticking pretty good. I paint and most painters i know stay away from stripping. Sand, sand and then sand if you want a proper finish. I seriously doubt your paint is going to adhere better than the factories(mine does'nt) ETCHING-PRIMER is your first step when coating bare metals. You need this and its available at your paint store. Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you stripping it? Is the paint flaking? Stripping is a messy and not needed unless the paint is bad. If you need stripper to remove it, I'd say it sticking pretty good. I paint and most painters i know stay away from stripping. Sand, sand and then sand if you want a proper finish. I seriously doubt your paint is going to adhere better than the factories(mine does'nt) ETCHING-PRIMER is your first step when coating bare metals. You need this and its available at your paint store. Good luck!
when i bought the bike the idiot that built it went nuts with the black spray paint and i don't want the engine to over heat( if you look at the pictures in my profile you'll see what i mean)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
when i bought the bike the idiot that built it went nuts with the black spray paint and i don't want the engine to over heat( if you look at the pictures in my profile you'll see what i mean)
then engine wont overheat from being painted black,
most of my harley big twins had black cases and jugs, trans cases usually black also

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are you going to do? Leave it plain steel? They're wrong. My motor is painted black (The jugs) and runs fine. Don't make work for yourself. Theres probably plenty for you to do. JMO
i know the jugs are supposed to be black but my whole engine is black

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
i know the jugs are supposed to be black but my whole engine is black
yeah thats fine
my shovel that I have right now is all black (engine cases and jugs, and trans case) everything black except for the heads and rocker boxes

there is nothing wrong with running an engine that is black

does the bike run right now ?
if so do you have any heating issues ?
if your getting heating issues it might be something else with the motor possibly timing is off or something to that effect

I personally like a set of black motor cases (thats just my taste)
but if your looking to get something together to put some miles on save yourself a lot of work and leave the black alone, maybe give it a light sanding if its on there sloppy but I wouldnt bother stripping it down to bare metal unless you plan on taking the cases apart

·
Registered
431 Posts
I doubt heat will be an issue, but if you wanna strip it, it's really not too bad of a chore. After stripping, I use this stuff called Alumnibrite if I want clean cast aluminum. It's basically phosphoric acid and it really cleans up castings like new without altering the finish like blasting does.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah thats fine
my shovel that I have right now is all black (engine cases and jugs, and trans case) everything black except for the heads and rocker boxes

there is nothing wrong with running an engine that is black

does the bike run right now ?
if so do you have any heating issues ?
if your getting heating issues it might be something else with the motor possibly timing is off or something to that effect

I personally like a set of black motor cases (thats just my taste)
but if your looking to get something together to put some miles on save yourself a lot of work and leave the black alone, maybe give it a light sanding if its on there sloppy but I wouldnt bother stripping it down to bare metal unless you plan on taking the cases apart
the bike isn't running yet (its a project) and i liked it at first but i'm starting to dislike it and thought i'd change it to give it a different look

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
the only thing thats gonna be a bitch is the fins on the head
the heads and the jugs you can have media blasted the paint should come right off
its the cases that get to be a pain trying to do it while theyre still together

·
Registered
431 Posts
With the chemical stripper, it's easy to get large flat surfaces, it's the finned, nooks and crannies that cause the grief, but even that is not really all that hard. It's prolly just spary paint anyway, and that stuff jumps right off. I've used the aircraft stripper on frames, heads, cases, etc, and it works really well, especially for restorations where you don't want to alter the finish. Blasting definitely changes the consistency of the castings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
With the chemical stripper, it's easy to get large flat surfaces, it's the finned, nooks and crannies that cause the grief, but even that is not really all that hard. It's prolly just spary paint anyway, and that stuff jumps right off. I've used the aircraft stripper on frames, heads, cases, etc, and it works really well, especially for restorations where you don't want to alter the finish. Blasting definitely changes the consistency of the castings.
I was thinking he could use trash bags or some plastic to mask off areas that he wants to leave alone. Hit it with some stripper let it sit and pressure wash it. Would bet 99% would come right off. Just take your time and do a good job. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts