Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to strip the chrome off fenders so I can repaint them to match the bike....as with anything, cheaper is gooder...I'll take 'em to get 'em bead blasted if I have to, but if I can do it in the garage, that would be better....

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Dirk_Laguna said:
looking to strip the chrome off fenders so I can repaint them to match the bike....as with anything, cheaper is gooder...I'll take 'em to get 'em bead blasted if I have to, but if I can do it in the garage, that would be better....
Dirk,
I'm pretty sure you'll have to have these "chrome stripped". Any chrome shop should be able to do this for a reasonable price. The place I had it done charged me $30 or $35 an item to have it removed to the nickle base. Saves TONS of time and elbow grease if you think you're going to take it off mechanically (if that's even possible). If it has a nickel base you may want to have that stripped also, but I think you may be able to rough up the nickle and prep it like you would steel.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
675 Posts
Im with Scooter. Taking off chrome by hand will leave you with a mauled fender. spen the money and have it stripped by the pro's. by the time you some how get the chrome off your looking at endless hours of time and stress and a ground up shadow of a fender. Thats my 10 cents worth (inflation)
Dirk_Laguna said:

·
Registered
156 Posts
chicoman7 said:
Im with Scooter. Taking off chrome by hand will leave you with a mauled fender. spen the money and have it stripped by the pro's. by the time you some how get the chrome off your looking at endless hours of time and stress and a ground up shadow of a fender. Thats my 10 cents worth (inflation)
Yeah, drop the dough!.. I just painted some fenders for my bro (15 coats of flaked madness!) and they may have problems down the line.. He sanded them down pretty good with 80 grit. And the paint is sticking.. but there were a couple of spot that may have not been sanded enough and the paint started to pull up there with the tape.. no big deal but if you wanna do it right strip it or blast it first..

·
Registered
2 Posts
these guys are correct. I used to work in a chrome shop and that stuff is near to impossible to remove with out screwing up the part you're working on. drop the cash and have it chemicaly stripped.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you're looking to do it really low buck, PM Jabber for his 'stripping recipe'. Cheap and easy but don't drink it. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the advice....a place here in RVA will strip 'em for $25 each

Cheap and easy but don't drink it. ;)
well, I'm accustomed to PBR...so how bad could it be?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts