Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody got any ideas about stripping chrome,Ive got a top yoke or tree or triple clamp or whatever you want to call it,that is made of aluminium but has been chromed,I want to remove the chrome without f***k**g up the aluminium,and end up with something that i can give quick polish.I know I could get it done professionally but was looking for a low budget alternative first. JackBlack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
As far as I know, you should bring it to a chromer and have them remove it chemically. I've read you can use Muriatic Acid, however, I have no idea if it will have side effects.

I actually have an old cast aluminum piece which has chrome that is 40+ years old and flaking badly. I've been wondering if there is something I can do myself, but I may just have it done professionally. It's flaking pretty bad that I think it may even come off w/ a pressure washer, LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
What caffeine said. I had to do it on my frame and a bunch of misc. parts. Price may vary on the chrome process that was used also. If it was copper AND nickel plated and you want both of those to be stripped then things get more expensive, BUT it's still WAAAYYY better than trying to take off chrome manually. Not sure about the muratic acid either, but do it chemically. It's the only effective way. When I had my frame chrome stripped I had them leave the nickel on there because it was soft enough to take off by hand and I was just going to paint the frame anyway, so ulimately I roughed it up and prepped like anything else.

Get all your friends parts together and strip those at the same time and it will be cheaper for all of you.
caffeine said:
bringing it to a chromer WILL be less expensive.

if they charge you over 20-25 bucks punch them in the face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
there was a post on this a few months back...we all agreed to have it done or you'll mess up your good stuff...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I've done it before, you need a electrode, a battery, solid core copper wire, mag wheel weights, acid, aligator clips, and a fan for the fumes. I need to do some de-chroming and I am bringing mine to a shop. I tried once it was on a after market springer stem nut. tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts
Overhere de-chroming is about the same price as chroming..:( !

Just less the polishing cost I guess..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
WHOAW! Do share this process! We need to know more about the DIY version of stripping chrome! Tell us more and do you have pics? What kind of acid? What type of electrode are you talking about? This could be very useful if it works. I'm sure we've all got some chrome parts that are turning shitty and are in need of replating...
leadsled said:
I've done it before, you need a electrode, a battery, solid core copper wire, mag wheel weights, acid, aligator clips, and a fan for the fumes. I need to do some de-chroming and I am bringing mine to a shop. I tried once it was on a after market springer stem nut. tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
It's been over a year, the acid was what we had around the shop, I put the part in a study plastic bowl. The wire was solid core residential stuff. Then i wrapped the wire around the part to be de-chromed. Then I wrapped another wire around wheel weights. I took a 12vdc battery hooked one piece to + and the other to -. Held it for a short time let the bubbles settle out and battery cool down and hit it again. I then put a fan near by the fumes where strong. I stopped when I got to copper.
scootermcrad said:
WHOAW! Do share this process! We need to know more about the DIY version of stripping chrome! Tell us more and do you have pics? What kind of acid? What type of electrode are you talking about? This could be very useful if it works. I'm sure we've all got some chrome parts that are turning shitty and are in need of replating...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
This is grounds for a potentially good tech article right here!

Any thoughts on the type of acid? Muratic Acid (sp?) maybe?
leadsled said:
It's been over a year, the acid was what we had around the shop, I put the part in a study plastic bowl. The wire was solid core residential stuff. Then i wrapped the wire around the part to be de-chromed. Then I wrapped another wire around wheel weights. I took a 12vdc battery hooked one piece to + and the other to -. Held it for a short time let the bubbles settle out and battery cool down and hit it again. I then put a fan near by the fumes where strong. I stopped when I got to copper.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top