Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my cam cover bolts was a little loose, so i tightened it... apparently im buff as shit, cause it stripped out, and i mean in the case, not the bolt itself.... the threads in the case just pulled out....

its just one... all the rest are fine... i can put it back in and get enough thread for it to stay in, but its definitely not very tight...

any advice? can i tap it one size bigger? or is that a bad idea.... should i get someone to weld it shut and start fresh?

its this kind of stupid shit that kills me... only had the bike back together for a week or so.... here's a pic of the new re-build, that now needs case work... FML...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've always liked timeserts much better then helicoils.
I used to use timeserts on trans cases when I worked for Mercedes, and they worked great, never had a problem with them.

Here are the demonstrations on their site if you don't know how they work.
http://www.timesert.com/html/install.html#A

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Use a heli coil. They are easy to install and the kit is about $30. They are the strongest repair you can make and are stronger than the original threads. Those are just little 1/4" screws and they shouldn't be torqued all that much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh duh... helicoil... kinda forgot about that... thanks guys...

I'm not really looking forward to pullin this cover off and draining oil and everything, since its only been on for about a week... oh well i guess...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
You might not need to if the heli coil drill bit is smaller than the clearanced holes in the cam cover (17/64"?) same with the tap. I've helicoiled engine cases using the innerprimary cover as a "jig" to make sure the hole get's drilled straight. So you may want to see if you and fit the drill bit into the cam cover hole, then drill the cases using the cam cover as a guide, and then take the cam cover off to do the helicoil tap and insert. Just take your time and a deep breath between each step. The worst thing possible is to brake a tap in the hole you just drilled. Go nice and easy.

·
Registered
447 Posts
make sure your blow out the shit that might've gotten into the hole
if there's dirt in the bottom of the hole its got no where to go when you torque down = stripped threads

·
Registered
689 Posts
timesert is best, but a helicoil will work fine and is a great low-cost alternative. i always use red locktite on the helicoil to prevent it from coming out if you ever have to remove the bolt again.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Just throw it away and get a new one. lol
________
Vaporizers

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Measure how deep the hole is and how far into the hole the threads go. You might be able to get away with a slightly longer bolt that may grab any deep threads in the hole. Worth a shot and then you can enjoy the bike while you get the repair stuff together.

I've gotten lucky a few times in the past with this approach...sometimes.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i hate stripping threads so i feel your pain. hopefully the helicoil works for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts