Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
57pan/4speed

went to kick the bike over today.gave it a few prime kicks and heard a strange sucking/gurgling noise.like the sound you get when your sucking the last of a soda out the bottem of a empty cup.its got plenty of oil was recently changed.any idea whats causing this.also spit a small amount of oil out but nothing more then normal just a lil bit

·
Registered
504 Posts
i'm not familiar with the panhead, but i would bet my money on a breather-valve or hole where oil and air can escape when the crank/engine wet-sumps?

i'm sure a panhead guy will come on and be more specific but it's probably somethign like that. or the spring in the oil-pump or something.

·
Registered
421 Posts
lochness said:
its got plenty of oil was recently changed.any idea whats causing this.also spit a small amount of oil out but nothing more then normal just a lil bit
Plenty as in possibly too much? That might do it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's called I believe wet sumping, that is when oil leaks past the check ball in the oil pump and drains into the crank case. Normally you should never have more than a couple of oz's of oil in there but if it leaks by you get a half of quart or so it takes a minute for the retun lines to pump out the excess and back to the oil tank. And some of it goes out the breather and into the primary case. Its nor serious unless it makes a mess under your bike. The cure is to replace the ball in the oil pump after you give it a rap with a small hammer to resize the ball seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.