Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave up riding.:( But for a good reason. I lost my wife in April to the dreaded C. And after much debate I've decided to stop riding for the foreseeable future. I live in Los Angeles and anyone who has ever ridden here you know how downright scary it can get. I also have become a single dad and after much discussion with my 16 year old son I decided I didn't want to leave him an orphan. I'm going to continue building just not riding. I know there are a lot of folks who would call me a pussy but I feel o.k. about this. How many of you have contemplated doing the same thing? Thanks for looking. Bumpstick

·
Registered
165 Posts
I might not agree, but I'd never consider anyone a pussy for thinking of his kids first.

Not really the same thing, but the bike I'm building will be my first ride in 10 years. My partner got sick and I couldn't afford to care for her and maintain a motorcycle. The bike went. 30 years ago, in my 20s, she'd have went - nothing got between me and the wind. But I was pretty much a dick back then.

Doc

·
Registered
21 Posts
I moved from a small town where I rode daily to Detroit in 1990. The traffic was so different and agressive that I parked my Triumph and did not ride a lick until last year when i got the bug to assemble a bike and put a Shovelhead back on the road.

In part after 20 years in the "big city" I am more used to the lousy agressive driving habits of the large city dweller, and I try to selectively avoid the worst /peak traffic and areas but also my family is now more secure financially than it was 20 years ago.

My view: Make your own decision what is right for you and don't allow peer pressure to sway you against your own judgement.

Best wishes that it all gets better

·
Registered
396 Posts
sorry to hear about your wife. LA riding is sketchy! on the other hand driving in los angeles is dangerous... some times you gotta do what you gotta do, and do what you feel is right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't have kids, but I appreciate that you're willing to give it up for your son! Who's to say in a few years when he's self-supporting, that you can't get back on two wheels!

Keep building, might be a good bonding tool! I know I would have loved it if my old man was in to building bikes when I was 16!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
After my cousin was murdered as a result of some club stuff I stopped riding for years, it just lost its appeal. It seems you have a lot more to lose than I did so understand. Giving something up you love for someone you love is a real sacrifice. Hats off to you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bumpstick I am very sorry to hear of you and your sons loss.

By doing this it shows your son your true character.

My best wishes to you,
Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are doing the right thing Bump. If you are uncomfortable riding then riding is the wrong thing to do. Later you may feel differently and want to ride again. Take it as it comes.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife, but you're right, Kids are important, bikes really aren't,
I kinda gave up riding/racing bikes because of the kids ( 8 daughters and 1 son), but I still love to build them.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss, losing someone you love for any reason is a life altering situation, not to mention a real bummer. You're doing what you think is right and for that I respect you...putting your son's needs ahead of your own desires shows true character, something sadly missing in today's world. BZ!

·
Registered
447 Posts
The benefits of motorcycle riding clearly outweigh the risks.

a little alternate view..you could always take out a huge life insurance policy on yourself
if you died and left behind 2 mil for your kid..his mind would probably be occupied for a long while.

Besides if you end up living, at least he won't think you're a quitter

All kidding aside I understand how insane it feels to bike around LA. I was jammin down interstate 10 at 70mph and shot a spark plug clear out of the head. I limped to the side of the road and had to climb up this steep embankment over a tall fence to get to a safe spot.

Keep in mind that absolutely anything that makes you go faster than you are able to run can kill you just as well as the motorcycle can. How about your cage? The train? The subway? Bicycle? Airplane? One minute you're cruisin to the store for some milk and eggs -- next minute youre hunched over a steering wheel. Just some perspective on the issue.

They can pry my cycle from my literally cold, dead hands.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bump, first and foremost my sympathy for the loss of your wife. I had to make a similar decision with my military career some years ago (post divorce). I didn't want my kids raised by my ex and the step dad of the week so I flushed 16 years in the Army down the toilet. Ten years later I have no regrets...kids are all but grown and I have my life back. Bad things happen to good people...but it makes us stronger, follow your gut brother!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ haha For two million he'd probably have me run over. I have plenty of toys to kill myself but in the past two weeks I have heard of at least 4 people killed in the L.A. area. I'm not making it up! Worse yet I don't want him feeding me thru a tube and wiping my ass. He can do that when I'm 90. haha

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't have kids, but I appreciate that you're willing to give it up for your son! Who's to say in a few years when he's self-supporting, that you can't get back on two wheels!

Keep building, might be a good bonding tool! I know I would have loved it if my old man was in to building bikes when I was 16!
I was thinking the same thing. My Old Man wasn't into anything mechanical. Maybe he'll wanna ride with you. I couldn't see giving that up but i did too for about 15 years and i am still not back down the road ... but close. No kids though (at least none that i am aware of but then again my doorbell doesn't work ....never know) Kudos to you for looking out for him.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I absolutely don't have a problem with it. That is the same reason I don't ever take my wife on the bike. I don't want to make my kids orphans if something were to happen. In my opininon, you are not making any excuses, just a rational decision to make every effort to be there for your son. Good on ya brother.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
"How many of you have contemplated doing the same thing?"
Bump,I have, When my wife of 40 years came into the emergency room after my crash this summer with tears in her eyes,I knew I had pushed the race car driving and bike riding long enough.I will rebuild the bike and take it down the road one last time but I won't have any regrets.

·
Registered
689 Posts
A family has amazing powers that some people can just never understand. I feel where you are coming from, but building is half the fun anyhow. Just keep your head up, and maybe the building can be a way to bond with your son.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts