Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this stop-a-chopper hub on an old chopper I bought for parts. I think I may be missing some parts off of it. Can someone clue me in as to what I'm missing. I can't figure out how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
looks like it could be all there. From the assembled pic...if you run a std brake cable through the lever on the right.... With the ball out to the lever on the left... Grab the front brake, pulls the two levers together, the inclined keys then push each lever apart... Putting force in onto the hub, pinching the hub to a stop.

prolly absolute crap for actual drive braking. But migt be just enough to hold the front wheel at a stop sign.

looks crazy. Would love to hear more from someone who knows legit info.

cool none the less.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I dont know if youre missing parts but i 'think' the way they work is the shoes are inside the hub and stop the bike - guess its supposed to keep the sides of the wheel cleaner

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess "I can't figure out how it's supposed to work" was a poor choice of words. I understand that the cable pulls the arms together and compresses the hub. Mine looks different than some of the pictures I've seen, and I'm wondering if I have all the parts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scavenger, is there a spacer between the inner lever and the hub. There isn't much space between it, and the spokes.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It is the concept of the cone brake. Commonly used in machinery like lathes to slow down spinning shafts. Another neat way to abide by the law:)
I always wanted one.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Scavenger, is there a spacer between the inner lever and the hub. There isn't much space between it, and the spokes.
There is a fiber bushing that rubs against the hub. I've got the same set-up laying around here some place. Don't expect that thing to actually stop you though. . . . they work O.K. to hold your bike bike in place AFTER you come to a stop. I ran mine with a jockey shift/suicide clutch set-up many moons ago.

Regards,
Geo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts