Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, my existing motor turns out to be junk. So, I back up and punt. Got a smoking deal on an all stock 1967 500 and bought it sight-unseen. Problem is, once I see it, it's just too clean to hack up. I can't bring myself to cut into it. Would come in handy to make some duckets off the stock parts, but still.

I also can't stand to NOT modify shit. So here's the plan; paint the tins shiny black, recover the top of the seat in black and paint a couple numbers on the side covers just for fun. Maybe take off the mufflers and run some flat black trumpet exhaust tips (think VW stingers) and chrome the grab handle. This way it could all be easily returned to stock if someone really cared that much. The paint looks good in photos but is pretty amatuer so I don't mind messing with that or the grey seat cover.

Anyone got any pics of cool triumphs without a lot of heavy mods? All I have is chopper or cafe stuff that is more than I want to do on this bike.

Thanks for any help!

-Bill
(Yes, that is a high-performance "tater launcher" on the bench in the background.)

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Trumpnut said:
are you interested in selling the whole bike or trading for a 650 triumph chopper ?
\

He means are you interested in selling the complete bike sans the pipes. :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Last week, my existing motor turns out to be junk. So, I back up and punt. Got a smoking deal on an all stock 1967 500 and bought it sight-unseen. Problem is, once I see it, it's just too clean to hack up. I can't bring myself to cut into it. Would come in handy to make some duckets off the stock parts, but still.

I also can't stand to NOT modify shit. So here's the plan; paint the tins shiny black, recover the top of the seat in black and paint a couple numbers on the side covers just for fun. Maybe take off the mufflers and run some flat black trumpet exhaust tips (think VW stingers) and chrome the grab handle. This way it could all be easily returned to stock if someone really cared that much. The paint looks good in photos but is pretty amatuer so I don't mind messing with that or the grey seat cover.

Anyone got any pics of cool triumphs without a lot of heavy mods? All I have is chopper or cafe stuff that is more than I want to do on this bike.

Thanks for any help!

-Bill
(Yes, that is a high-performance "tater launcher" on the bench in the background.)
idk man, i wouldnt hack it up. to be honest, not to many stockers are gonna be around if we keep hackin premo stuff up like that. ive got nothing against buildin choppers, they're my life. but its nice to see old stuff that looks like it just came off the show room floor. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
256 Posts
sell that bike and buy your chop as youd likely get something pretty shiny for it
cant tell if its stock paint but its certainly a nice stock bike
if you want to send some close up pics i can put a number on it for you

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Capt. Cal said:
idk man, i wouldnt hack it up. to be honest, not to many stockers are gonna be around if we keep hackin premo stuff up like that. ive got nothing against buildin choppers, they're my life. but its nice to see old stuff that looks like it just came off the show room floor. just my 2 cents.

good words ..

the American buying public had many of these same sentiments when there were plenty of new ones in the mid-60's .. re the gray-topped seats ..

try & find one now ..

if you are careful you can 'clean it up' and leave the stock frame un-molested, and use your stock tank ..

pix of pre-unit bobbers 'from the day' will be very useful here ..

and you Can do a lot .. Wassel fork covers, clean headlamp, different pipes but stock foot controls & careful attention to seat/fender ..

just look at what's been done, think about what's left,

& have fun ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dragon- I'm picking up what you're laying down... My thoughts exactly. I was just trying to avoid saying "bobber" outloud. I'm thinking stripped down, without being hacked up, so all the orig parts can find their way back home some day.

Now, who the hell's got some Wassell fork covers, an old stock seat pan and especially the "back in the day" photos?

Thanks for all the input guys.

-Bill

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Billdozer1811 said:
Now, who the hell's got some Wassell fork covers, an old stock seat pan and especially the "back in the day" photos?

pm FouracesWes if he doesnt tag-in on this one .. he keeps those covers around, or can get them ..

and hang in there, we'll come up with some good pix, I may have to load some into imageshack at the worst, but will get you some for study ..

D ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
73 Posts
sumthin for ya to look at and that seat cost a ton of cash
Dragon said:
Billdozer1811 said:

pm FouracesWes if he doesnt tag-in on this one .. he keeps those covers around, or can get them ..

and hang in there, we'll come up with some good pix, I may have to load some into imageshack at the worst, but will get you some for study ..

D ..

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is a nice clean 500. Leave it that way .They dont make good chopped or modified bikes. They are too small both in engine and frame size. Sell it, as is and get a 650 thats more to your liking. Someone here on the JJ will appreciate what it is and give you a reasonable amount for it or has something in their collection they will swap for it. Good 500s are not to easy to come by these days, and that one looks very tidy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts