Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need info on a stock 69 shovelhead frame. i have a what appears to be a 1970 frame. it does not have a vin on it and it appears to have not been altered (ground off) all thoughts and info appreaciated.
tell me what to look for to determine if it's a 1969 or 1970 frame.
thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not a VIN, but some have a letter-4 digit (a1234) anti theft number, that no longer seems to mean anything. I got into an argument (well, discussion) with an LEO who thought it was remants of a VIN, 'til he called HD's secret line and found out about them

·
Administrator
7,805 Posts
Not a VIN, but some have a letter-4 digit (a1234) anti theft number, that no longer seems to mean anything. I got into an argument (well, discussion) with an LEO who thought it was remants of a VIN, 'til he called HD's secret line and found out about them
Anti theft codes started in about '62 or so. They are used to tie together a bike, based on the vin number. I believe that Harley still has some of these records?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i need info on a stock 69 shovelhead frame. i have a what appears to be a 1970 frame. it does not have a vin on it and it appears to have not been altered (ground off) all thoughts and info appreaciated.
tell me what to look for to determine if it's a 1969 or 1970 frame.
thanks
what i need to know is did the stock 69 frame have a L slot in the top motor mount or just a slot like the 70 frame. did it have the tab for the rear brake line tee by the left side of the front motor mount? the lines and tee were used from 58-69 70 used different ones. i'm looking for info on any differences between the 69 and 70 frame. the vin no vin is a no brainer. i need to know more.
thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 69 and I think [according to the # on the top motor mount] a 67 frame,both have the L shaped top motor mount,67 has the keyed neck lock,69 has the padlock style,easiest way to I.D. a 69 or older is the cast [rasied]number on the frame down by the swing arm,should say 47651-58,don't know if all do....hope that helps....
GBM

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I heard those biker guys in the 70,s used to plate and mold their frame necks to cover that stuff up.......
Only if they didn't mind losing their bikes. And you have to remember it would only apply to new bikes (less than 10 years old) back then.
If you think road side stops are a hassle now, you should have been around in the 70's. But it was just part of riding a chopper or fatbob back then.
Larry T

1 - 20 of 21 Posts