Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Love this site and it provides some great reading.
I have secured a clean titled "1965" Panhead that has a motor with STD cases & S&S jugs. The seller thinks it is a Stroker, but he is the third owner so we cant trace anything back easily.
I have been in contact with the new owners of STD who have been less than helpful trying to ID the motor using the number stamped on the cases.
Is there any way of telling (without stripping it down) actually whats inside or what the cases are?
From what i have found the STD gear was pretty high quality stuff when it was in business.
Anyway, any help or light shed, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
975 Posts
remove spark plugs and remove timing plug on left side , get some one to slowly crank kicker over while shining a torch in the timing hole and see what markings turn up on the flywheels.

S+S site has the flywheel serial codes , it might tell you what youve got

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Hi mate welcome and congrats on the purchase. You have is a set of STD cases, how would they know what motor was built around them? That might explain their attitude?

How about some pics of the bike mate? Pans rule but Im biased :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi mate welcome and congrats on the purchase. You have is a set of STD cases, how would they know what motor was built around them? That might explain their attitude?

How about some pics of the bike mate? Pans rule but Im biased :)
Thanks for the reply Pete,
I had in my mind that if they were "notched" they may be stroker cases, or if they were overbored they may be "big bore" cases. I would have liked to know.

The other thing i wanted to know from them is when they were made.

I did contact the new owners and they weren't interested in helping.

PS: The bike is on its way to Long Beach for a slow boat to Sydney!!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Page 236 of High Performance Parts for American V-Twins 2008 by S&S Cycle

lower end flywheels identification of flywheels s&s® flywheels are manufactured in sets only we do not sell individual right or left flywheels nor do we recommend mixing flywheels from different sets this is because the manufacturing techniques and/or tooling used in machining runs of flywheels changes periodically to prevent mixing flywheels as well as to identify each set the right and left flywheels have been stamped with identical serial numbers for illustration purposes note the set of s&s flywheels for a big twin engine in the picture serial number id serial number b01810-3slx stamped on the flywheels is deciphered as follows b01810 ­ these numbers denote the serial number for this particular set of flywheels from this number s&s can determine when the flywheels were made and sold to whom they were sold and how the flywheels were originally balanced 3 ­ this number determines the stroke of the flywheels in this case the stroke is 43/4 sl ­ these letters designate the year of the engine the flywheels were machined to fit and that the flywheels were machined to accept an s&s design sprocket shaft x ­ this letter indicates the diameter of the flywheels in this case the diameter is 81/4 flywheel serial number s&s® flywheel identification codes for 1936-up big twin stroke code 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 12 13 14 16 17 18 19 stroke 43/8 41/2 43/4 5 41/4 stock 80 45/8 special order 51/4 31/2 stock 61 331/32 stock 74 51/8 4 35/8 41/8 year code e l al se bl sl sf sg sm y engine year 1936 54 1955 71 1972-early 81 1955-early 81 late 1981 99 late 1981 99 1999-up s&s 41/8 bore 1995 99 efi 74 80 indian® sprocket shaft stock stock stock s&s stock s&s press in press in press in stock pinion shaft stock stock stock stock stock stock press in press in s&s stock crankpin type 1941 81 1941 81 1941 81 1941 81 1981 99 1981 99 press in press in 1981 99 stock diameter code none a x flywheel diameter 81/2 stock 83/8 81/4 7-27 visit us at www.sscycle.com

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all. i will check when the bike FINALLY gets here.
Its taking ages.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts