Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and by "unknown" I mean it came to be built, sat for a year or two on the bench. I pulled my 67 TR6 motor out of my chopper for some fixin' and this unknown one is in it while I'm messing with it.

The cases tell me its a 69 TR6 but it has T120 head. ARD with the usual Morse/Fairbanks mag. A mystery hose going from the base of the jugs (timing exhaust side) into the top of the rocker box (exhaust primary side). Was told it came right out of a running bike.

I had to take the rocker boxes off to put it into my frame, everything is torqued to specs. I have new plugs in there, I have some used Amal 930s on there, fluids are new, did the valves...

What am I missing?

·
6,351 Posts
Something that sat for that long, I'd do what I could to prime the motor or at least get some oil in the top end first.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Something that sat for that long, I'd do what I could to prime the motor or at least get some oil in the top end first.
Right. So I am using all the old plumbing to include the full scavenge feeder and I know that works(ed). Am I just looking at kicking it for a while or am I getting aggressive and pouring?

·
6,351 Posts
If it were me...I'd do both. Give it a few zaps from the oil can at the rocker/valve contact point, and priming kicks to get oil moving up the line to the rocker feed (maybe even crack one of the rocker feed acorns so you can see oil coming out up there).
Fire, and keep an eye on the return line. That's always a tense moment, but you should see some return before long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mag also throws me off. the internals look just like my Hunt, but the cover has staggered wire ports. I am just assuming that it is still timed correctly. Does it matter which port goes to which plug? Is it a dual fire mag...sheeet, are all mags dual fire? IS that is dumb question? Am I running full advance on this unit? Is there any choice? Adjustment? I don't see how I could adjust it like the Hunt...

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
The Mag also throws me off. the internals look just like my Hunt, but the cover has staggered wire ports. I am just assuming that it is still timed correctly. Does it matter which port goes to which plug? Is it a dual fire mag...sheeet, are all mags dual fire? IS that is dumb question? Am I running full advance on this unit? Is there any choice? Adjustment? I don't see how I could adjust it like the Hunt...
ARD is a fixed timing magneto and ARD made both dual and single fire mags, most are single fire mags, and your's is a single fire mag, there is a small rotor on the inside of the cap that sends the spark to each plug separately, so it does matter which wire goes to which plug.

·
Registered
398 Posts
can you post a pic of the feed line that goes to your rocker box? i've been contemplating doing something similar and would like an idea of where they tapped in. my guess is at the front tappet block journal?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can you post a pic of the feed line that goes to your rocker box? i've been contemplating doing something similar and would like an idea of where they tapped in. my guess is at the front tappet block journal?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts