Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Pete, The nut appeared to be tight - but at the same time there was "run-out" on the ring gear. I will pull down the manuals for more details such as what I have attached below, and make sure the bearing plate is good and the hub nut gets tightened to the correct torque..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Pete, The nut appeared to be tight - but at the same time there was "run-out" on the ring gear. I will pull down the manuals for more details such as what I have attached below, and make sure the bearing plate is good and the hub nut gets tightened to the correct torque.. View attachment 272570
Thanks Pete, The nut appeared to be tight - but at the same time there was "run-out" on the ring gear. I will pull down the manuals for more details such as what I have attached below, and make sure the bearing plate is good and the hub nut gets tightened to the correct torque.. View attachment 272570
One thing to note is that I did not need to use the clutch hub puller tool - which makes me think that the hub was not fully tightened previously.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The pieces in the pictures are china stuff - looks to be v twin - the bet is off if they are actually ok in fit and finish

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Have them show you a factory 5 threaded stud clutch hub in a Harley sealed bag or box - that’s not going to happen

i have no motive in this - you are being lied to

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would look long and hard at that old 3 piece ring. I would recommend replacing it with a one piece ring gear. The old 3 piece tend to separate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I would look long and hard at that old 3 piece ring. I would recommend replacing it with a one piece ring gear. The old 3 piece tend to separate.
Thanks Drift - I want to do that and was looking at how easy it is to replace the 3 piece ring gear with the one piece. as its not a bolt on and is welded it might be easier just to buy a new clutch basket with a ring on it.

Have them show you a factory 5 threaded stud clutch hub in a Harley sealed bag or box - that’s not going to happen

i have no motive in this - you are being lied to
Thanks John, They just said that Harley used the three (3) piece ring gear - not that they sold it to me - it was on the bike already so you could be correct. Most for sale these days are replicas and if you do find the original parts - the price is crazy plus the used ones I have seen online look like crap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks Drift - I want to do that and was looking at how easy it is to replace the 3 piece ring gear with the one piece. as its not a bolt on and is welded it might be easier just to buy a new clutch basket with a ring on it. View attachment 272571

Thanks John, They just said that Harley used the three (3) piece ring gear - not that they sold it to me - it was on the bike already so you could be correct. Most for sale these days are replicas and if you do find the original parts - the price is crazy plus the used ones I have seen online look like crap.
Things continue to be strange - The clutch hub which is keyed does not appear to slide on the main shaft anywhere near tight.. I had a couple of other hubs on the shelf that I thought might work but neither have a keyed shaft - one is splined and the other is just a large bearing.
Are the centers inter changeable? are the a press fit?

Question is could the inner primary case be wrong ? I will attach a picture where case protrudes where the shaft is, so the clutch hub "butts" against it before it goes fully on the drive shaft.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Just to let everyone know - Starter was tested and is good - there was a thick metal chainguard on the inner primary that I removed so that when the starter went in it was flush with the housing ( I will put the guard back on later). Also the clutch bearing plate (new style ram Jet) was nut secured properly with the five (5) retaining clips that go on (yes mine is a 5 finger not 3 finger). I am waiting for the new bearing plate with retaining clips to arrive. Currently the Starter Bendix now engages the ring gear (see Photo) Once I get the new parts and the clutch back together I will test it. I also took the advise to create a starter shaft bearing case holder from an old outer case so that I can test with causing a problem to the shaft. Many thanks to all of the help and advise I got on line from you guys - I am also learning as I go - that is the Shovelhead way - strip it down - clean it - fix it - ride it then start all over.. Thanks

21 - 30 of 30 Posts