Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way way back KustomZ had a problem with his starter bendix hitting the stop before engaging the ring gear.
Then also way back hotrodjohn71 also had the same problem.
This is back 10 years ago - and I cannot find anywhere that shows how they resolved it?
I have the very same problem and need some help in finding out what the problem is.
the bendix stop does not allow the bendix to engage the ring gear. There appears to be no adjustment any where - so I am stumped - what is wrong the starter shaft - the ring gear - the bendix - the inner casing ? any advise appreciated..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Couple things - years changed and so did the shaft length - from the picture the gear looks to far away - the gear is just a bit away usually - the end had was also replaced with a thinner one

you did not have enough info for a real answer ( IF ) you know what years all the related parts are it can be narrowed down

picture up or explain presto light starter or hitachi - flat side or cone engine 70 to 77 or later - primary year ratchet trans or Maytag - all matters

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple things - years changed and so did the shaft length - from the picture the gear looks to far away - the gear is just a bit away usually - the end had was also replaced with a thinner one

you did not have enough info for a real answer ( IF ) you know what years all the related parts are it can be narrowed down

picture up or explain presto light starter or hitachi - flat side or cone engine 70 to 77 or later - primary year ratchet trans or Maytag - all matters
Johnjzjz - thanks for responding to my post.
The bike is a 1973 Shovelhead - the starter I am not sure and have added photo, cone engine (see photo) again not sure on gearbox see photos.
I have added as many photos - it is almost like there is a spacer missing from the back of the starter shaft where it would go into the back of the starter motor.
Thanks
starter 1.jpg
starter 2.jpg
starter 3.jpg
gearbox 2.jpg
gearbox 1.jpg
starter 4.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It looks as if the starter is the later type in aftermarket its threads in the conversion if any

trans is a type you would expect to see a ratchet top

the shaft you have out on top of the clutch drum - measure it in its total length

then measure the end bearing insert the thick part and the bearing part - i have these in stock as real OEM and will comparison

what i am see in it looks to me something is too short - the clutch drum looks ok in the spot its in but the shaft might be too short

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks as if the starter is the later type in aftermarket its threads in the conversion if any

trans is a type you would expect to see a ratchet top

the shaft you have out on top of the clutch drum - measure it in its total length

then measure the end bearing insert the thick part and the bearing part - i have these in stock as real OEM and will comparison

what i am see in it looks to me something is too short - the clutch drum looks ok in the spot its in but the shaft might be too short
Looks to be 7" and then the shaft end of the stop is 1" that goes flush in the outer primary case.
Shaft 1.jpg
Shaft 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
More info needed what starter related parts do you have

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
We cut up a junk cracked outer and made a tool so we could adjust. The washer end play so the bendix does not get mauled by over throwing into the hub gear - no other way of doing it dead on

also pictured up other parts that could be - what you have is blended

the very early inner clutch hub is thicker then the later ones and i have seen that before

pull it apart and get a know to work hub and see if they match up that is another possible

Reactions: farmall

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We cut up a junk cracked outer and made a tool so we could adjust. The washer end play so the bendix does not get mauled by over throwing into the hub gear - no other way of doing it dead on

also pictured up other parts that could be - what you have is blended

the very early inner clutch hub is thicker then the later ones and i have seen that before

pull it apart and get a know to work hub and see if they match up that is another possible
Appears what i have is the 1965 to 1984 FHH FXE 4 speed - it's the starter shaft style that I have.
I pulled the starter - see the phototos of starter with the shaft in..

·
Registered
385 Posts
That variety is interesting because it has the complete gear reduction box included. The Denso starter motor is a nice upgrade but I'm not familiar with the jack shaft variety for those years. Good thing ya posted that pic and your photo style is the way I like to see 'em! I can't tell who made the kit but it looks like the one that fit my early five speed. It doesn't look like All Balls or Spyke.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ITYS A THE UNIT WE USE FOR STROKERS

i believe its in the clutch assembly - the spacers under the front motor sprocket and alternator drum will tell the tail

i believe its all spaced out to fit something that is incorrect in the clutch parts

Reactions: JEMCO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That variety is interesting because it has the complete gear reduction box included.
I am thinking i need to find the old style longer starter motor - the one that goes to the end bracket support on the gear box. - and try that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I should pull the clutch Assembly ? - put the starter back in and find a clutch assembly (maybe with the one piece ring gear) and put that in and see where the Bendix aligns.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Its not the starter its in the location of the clutch hub its only time to see

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its not the starter its in the location of the clutch hub its only time to see
Thanks John
Next weekend I will pull the clutch.
HD said the clutch is correct - so it might be a spacer behind it.
I will let you know next week and I will post photos of what I find.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John
Next weekend I will pull the clutch.
HD said the clutch is correct - so it might be a spacer behind it.
I will let you know next week and I will post photos of what I find.
I pulled the clutch plates out and noticed something very strange - when I turn the shaft the run-out on the main starter gear ring is very noticeable - I made a video but I may have to edit it due to size. I will know more over the next few days when I take the complete clutch basket off.
I also have to work out how to add a link or some other way to show you guys the video of the run-out. I get the message the uploaded file is too large for the server to process.
Still I think we are on the right path and it is the clutch/basket/ring gear assembly and not the starter/Bendix.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK so I pulled the clutch out and it appears that it has what looks like a friction plate on the back of the clutch as well as the normal clutch basket with multiple plates. The key way was good - not sure on make of clutch - but would prefer the solid ring gear type. I have a couple of new clutches but they are for belt drive and also have a spline not a key way.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
it's a stock 4 speed Harley clutch with an after market 5 stud hub for an easier obtained, even clutch pressure, & a solid Aluminium pressure plate which also helps clutch setting, none of these can effect your clutch in the way you have problems,.. all looks as it should, it sounds like your doing it blind if you didn't know what clutch it is so, I highly recommend you get a FACTORY workshop manual & a Factory Parts manual as well, they can be downloaded free if you don't want to spend on them, but they are 'MUST HAVE' items if you have a Shovelhead, a shit load of good information in them, was the HUB nut tight ? when loose the basket will move out taking the ring gear away from the bendix gear....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts