Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First post here so please bare with me if this has been brought up earlier (didn´t get the hang of the forum search function).

Time to get the XR1000 mill into the 70´s XR-750 replica frame to make that vintage style street-tracker I´ve wanted for awhile.
I need a battery to fit somewhere and the only space I can think of is a bit back under the seat unit(stock XR-750) if I can find a starter battery that can be mounted any way I want (tilted, upside down or whatever) so I cannot go for a traditional lead battery here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mats

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was fast. Perfect. Nice spec´s on that stuff. Price tag double the money but if it holds up as advertised it´s not too much more as I´m used to with lead batteries and their life-span. Black and orange also.......

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Yeah stock H-D AGM bat from a 04 and later sporty or V-rod.......Roach.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. Considered the replacemet AGM batterys for awhile but didn´t find a good location on the bike as this is a XR-750 frame and will sport the original dirt track oil tank. Although the price is more tempting, the standard size/replacement battery is bigger (and heavier) than the Lithium Ion equivalent. The Super B 5200 will fit nicely under the seat unit. Or even boxed in under the engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How does the XR1000 engine fit into that frame? I'd be curious to know if you have any vertical clearance issues given the height difference I'm assuming between the 750 and 1000cc engines.

Sounds like an interesting build though - looking forward to some pictures!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Back in the day of the battery ignition for the XR750 racer, some racers put the battery in the oil tank. You can make an oil tank a little bigger than stock and make a hole in the center of it to house the battery.

Zilla!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Simon.
The frame is a replica of a 70´s XR-750 and was built around a Iron 1000 Sportster engine so the XR1000 fits tight but nicely. Yes, the XR-750 front rocker cover is very tight to the original frame tubing and the XR1000 wouldn´t fit in an original XR-750 frame This frame is well made and looks authentic (not me who made it) so I´m quite happy with it. 70´s round swing arm, tomahawk and all. However, I had to modify the left engine block half as the end of the swingarm spindle hit it on that side. The block half has "bump" there so I had to cut the bump and weld the hole flat.

Zilla.
That´s a good solution and as you say I need to make a bigger oil tank. I´m actually thinking about that now that I found the Super B battery. Problem is I really like the original dirttrack oil tank. See what happens.... Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts